• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Sparring Stance

cross

Any opening, like the HUGE opening of that boxing stance in the picture, is not a problem to atttack. I'm going to blast the solarplexus, then the nano second they drop their boxing guard (even slightly), the face is getting hit just as hard - they then do down.

I am so confident of this because I've done this so many times in the past I've lost count...

- Killer -

the thing about a typical boxing stance is that with the elbows down, you use the elbows to parry shots to the midsection. Also, the footwork is quite mobile. when someone rushes in like that, shuffle back, just out of range, then counter with a jab/cross.

I am so confident of this because I've done this so many times in the past I've lost count...

experiences vary though, so what we've done and to whom is really irrelevant.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the footwork is quite mobile. when someone rushes in like that, shuffle back, just out of range, then counter with a jab/cross.

coincidentally, I did this just last night. We have a tkd black belt who recently began thai boxing with us. he threw an axe kick, which I ducked under and countered with a cross to the solar plexus. I circled away from him (we were next to the wall) to get some space, and he lunged forward with a front kick. I shuffled back, then lunged immediately back, hitting him with a jab. The bell rang as soon as the jab landed, so I dind't follow up with anything.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a few aspects of training that ALL even semi serious boxers and thai boxers incorporate:

pad work

heavy bag work

road work

abs

ab work is a staple for any sport fighters regimen, for various reasons. however, in the context of conditioning and damage control - when was the last time you saw a boxer or thai boxer get dropped from a body shot? it happens, but not often. Even then, it is usually the result of several body shots wearing him down, not one, lone shot. The two main reasons for this are that

1. body shots are fairly easy to roll with, so even if I do get hit, I can minimize the damage done

2. endless ab conditioning.

In the example you gave, the reverse punch would have scored a point, but as long as the fighting was continuous, chances are that it wouldn't have had much effect overall.

One thing that I say to my students is that when should make sure the body is covered, then open index fingers to see where the fists are pointing towards. If that's at the ceiling, well then a readjustment needs to take place before then can punch their opponent. It's an easy exercise and it works.

Why would you make a readjustment? with the fist pointes upward - fingers would be aimed at the ceiling. the punch comes straight out from it's position, with the elbow remainging down, and the body rotating forward - it's the same for both the jab and the cross. Also, with the fist/arm straight up and down, you are in optimal position for defending your face. Where do you tell your students their fingers should be pointed?

I tell them that they should be able to adjust to block an attack to the head yes... though to have the head 'covered' would expose the body, Yes?

That's the problem right there - IME, anyway. stikcing with the example of the TKD black belt in my class, and my prior kung fu training. you have to adjust to blok various areas. drop the hand to block low, raise it to block upward, etc. there is the potential for way to much wasted motion there, and you are susceptible to fakes. with a boxing guard, I don't have to make adjustments to block my head - you also have to keep in mind that that is the target where you are most likely to get knocked out and where most attacks are coming - it should always be guarded, IMO. for the body, my only adjustment is a simple hip rotation, so that I may deflect/absorb with my elbow/forearm.

Matsumura Seito uses a bare-knuckle boxing guard as does Shorinkan. So no, there shouldn't be any problem. A modern boxing stance sans gloves? You wouldn't have the same protection. Without gloves (and padding) to take up space and absorb the impact, holding the rear fist near your chin can be done, but the efficacy would be decreased. Of course you can still use it if you were taught that way. Dodging and slipping punches makes more sense in the streets.

the hand on the chin is merely to keep it covered from chin shots. that benefit is still there sans gloves. when you coever from a hook, you take the blow on your forearm as opposed to the glove. I actually take it on my forearms even with gloves, so that I am already in that habit regardless of situation.

holding the rear guard hand (open or closed) near the solar plexus, is good for self defense especially against shoots, tackles and when used to parry and avoid the blow or in grabbing the opponent. The lead hand can be held lower to aid in a sprawl against leg takedowns. Even some boxers use this position to sneak a jab in from down low.

I dunno - I can parry and grab just as easily with the hand up. As for avoiding a shoot, the rear hand isn't much help alone. mobility is the key factor in avoiding a shot. I don't want my hand lower, unless I'm trying to under hook him. With the standard sprawl, you place your weight on top of your opponent, forcing him down.

Also, if you look at 2 of the basic blocks taught in karate, uchi uke and soto uke, they work well from the boxing type guard because all you need to do it rotate your hips and either arm sweeps across protecting a large area without any other movements required.