• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Sparring Stance

cross

One thing that I say to my students is that when should make sure the body is covered, then open index fingers to see where the fists are pointing towards. If that's at the ceiling, well then a readjustment needs to take place before then can punch their opponent. It's an easy exercise and it works.

They guys in the photo don't look very efficient in their stance, again posed for pictures and I'm guessing neither of them would fight like that.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell them that they should be able to adjust to block an attack to the head yes... though to have the head 'covered' would expose the body, Yes?

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Any opening, like the HUGE opening of that boxing stance in the picture, is not a problem to atttack. I'm going to blast the solarplexus, then the nano second they drop their boxing guard (even slightly), the face is getting hit just as hard - they then do down.

I am so confident of this because I've done this so many times in the past I've lost count...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I'm going to blast the solarplexus, then the nano second they drop their boxing guard (even slightly), the face is getting hit just as hard - they then do down.

The thing is, the guard doesnt "drop" the hands stay at the same height and the forearms and elbows protect against your blast to the solarplexus.

Do any of you see an issue with training in karate and using the boxing guard?

Matsumura Seito uses a bare-knuckle boxing guard as does Shorinkan. So no, there shouldn't be any problem. A modern boxing stance sans gloves? You wouldn't have the same protection. Without gloves (and padding) to take up space and absorb the impact, holding the rear fist near your chin can be done, but the efficacy would be decreased. Of course you can still use it if you were taught that way. Dodging and slipping punches makes more sense in the streets.

Holding the rear guard hand (open or closed) near the solar plexus, is good for self defense especially against shoots, tackles and when used to parry and avoid the blow or in grabbing the opponent. The lead hand can be held lower to aid in a sprawl against leg takedowns. Even some boxers use this position to sneak a jab in from down low.

Those stances look ridiculous btw. Shotokan types rarely practice Judo or throws, so I would guess that's for conditioning kid's legs. It can't be for effective and mobile fighting. It has to be some kind of karate picture pose or just bad kamae kata.

You can't fade me, man!

Holding the rear guard hand (open or closed) near the solar plexus, is good for self defense especially against shoots, tackles and when used to parry and avoid the blow or in grabbing the opponent.

Its not so good when the other guy is throwing strikes to your face(which is most likely what you will come across in a fight).

When talking about defending against shoots and takedowns the hand would probably still be in a better position to act if its kept up near the face, because if your trying to take me down i want to control your head meaning you will probably run straight into my forearm and i can control the head from there.

Matsumura Seito uses a bare-knuckle boxing guard as does Shorinkan. So no, there shouldn't be any problem.

Thankyou for that information.

After quiet a bit of research, discussion and practice, i now realise that the boxing guard is not the only position that can be used in a self defence situation.

The position i use varies at times, but generally it stays in the boxing position.

I apologize if my opinions came across in a narrow minded manner earlier.

Edited by cross

After quiet a bit of research, discussion and practice, my views have changed.

I now realise that the boxing guard is not necessarily the best position to use in self defence situations.

The position i use varies at times, but generally the lead hand is about face height and extended a bit, the rear hand is held either at the mid-section, or near the chin along the center-line of the body.

I apologize if my opinions came across in a narrow minded manner earlier.

They didn't and no need to apologize. Most folks, trained or otherwise, would say the same thing, especially boxers and ring fighters without bare-knuckle or street experience. At least you did some searching and found varying opinions. Good luck in training and life.

You can't fade me, man!

• 2 weeks later...