cross

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is better than a boxer stance because it protects both your face and stomach. It also puts more distance between you and your opponent than a boxer's stance

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

This is better than a boxer stance because it protects both your face and stomach.

The boxing stance protects both.

It also puts more distance between you and your opponent than a boxer's stance

A combination of techniques and footwork keeps a good distance.

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/how_to/pictures/56b_how_to.JPG

I found this picture which shows a position similar to the one im talking about. Hands dont stay still in this position, they move slightly making gestures as you talk.

A boxing stance may not work well for karate. Many instances, I have seen boxer being swept by a wave kick. However, the stance in the photo may not be a good one either. The sparring stance generally practiced by a Shotokan student would be a shortened version of the rooted stance (fudo-dachi). If the stance is too long and too low, it reduced mobility. As time progresses, one will learn that there is no such thing as a standard "sparring stance". I have seen people who can spar effectively with horse-stance (kibadachi), Cat-stance (neko) and hourglass stance (sanchin). As for hand placement, I have noticed that the intial positions (hand guards) are not of much help as the opponent, if experienced or skilled, will come up with methods to get by them. What is important is your skill in countering their attacks. Basically, place them where you think is best for reacting to punches to the head and the mid section.

The pic in the photo makes it look like some old american guys fighting in the street.

"Put up yer dukes"

LOL

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• 2 months later...
This is better than a boxer stance because it protects both your face and stomach. It also puts more distance between you and your opponent than a boxer's stance

the boxing guard protects both the face and stomach. The distance of the lead hand depends on the fighter and the situation they are in.

The pic in the photo makes it look like some old american guys fighting in the street.

"Put up yer dukes"

LOL

as opposed to what - his hands chambered? with the hands up, he's gurarding his head. he will guard his midsection by pivoting, parrying blows with his elbows. There's nothing inherently wrong with his hand positioning, judt different strokes for different folks, that's all.

as SevenStar says- the boxing stance covers the body perfectly cos you use elbow bumps to get round body shots not over-commited hand movements that leave your head exposed.

it seems to me to be the perfect stance whilst the upright positions saves energy by not putting much strain on the muscles and allows for the fastest footwork in any direction you choose.

i dont really see what there is to discuss to me it is simple common sense