• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Sparring Stance

cross

This photo maybe taken during a basic class ,it is not a free fighting stance .regardind hand positions obviously karateka has to cover all his body and not just the face like boxers ,therefor one hand at chest hight and the other slightly lower cover the body and we are constantly moving ,they change with every foot changes.

never give up !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, new to martial arts (so it's all english names for the stances etc i'm afraid!), and even newer to the forums but thought i'd have a go and throw in my ideas as well....

when we spar in class, we start off in 'fighting stance', like front stance, but with the feet and legs turned slightly in, instead of facing straight forward, both knees bent. our hands are up, guarding the face. Generally, my hands (in closed fists) are about forearms length in front of my face at chin level, usually with my left hand slightly in front of my right.

The Chief Instructor has said this is more of a street-fighting stance rather than karate, but it works for us in that situation...

so, how'd i do? nervous about discussing this, dunno if i'm making fool of myself :-?

MissG , good post . nothing to worry about . my stance is almost the same mybe hands a little bit higher like Motobu-ha style in close range , in kicking rang I bring my lead hand down so it won't block my vision.

Good post MissG. Dont ever be afraid to discuss things on here or post your opinions (after all thats what the forum is for).

Beginner and advanced students can always learn new things off each other.

Edited by cross

in kicking rang I bring my lead hand down so it won't block my vision.

I utilise my lead hand quiet a bit so i like to keep it extended a little bit and basically "aimed" straight at my opponents nose so i can fire it straight towards there face as a stop hit or just a regular attack. At the same time, this leaves the lead hand in a good position to defend also.

i tend to lower my guard a little when my opponent is in kick range too.

Thanks!! :karate: i have enough trouble remembering where to put my feet (have great stance to start, but when my foot goes back down after a kick, it turns out to the side little by little each time :( ) in class sometimes :) let alone describing it in words in a forum populated by so many people way way way above me in skill!

MissG, like yourself I am new to this forum and it is a good way to talk to so many people from any level in the whole world ! your post was good and I think every one agrees with me that no body gained the skills in any art including martial arts the easy way . There is no short cut but train and train with a good instructer . In fact like any other art , like playing the guitar ,it is blending your mind and body parts in to one ,I don't play the guitar but I know that after years of playing it is like the fingers have a mind of their own when playing !

never give up !

MissG, like yourself I am new to this forum and it is a good way to talk to so many people from any level in the whole world ! your post was good and I think every one agrees with me that no body gained the skills in any art including martial arts the easy way . There is no short cut but train and train with a good instructer . In fact like any other art , like playing the guitar ,it is blending your mind and body parts in to one ,I don't play the guitar but I know that after years of playing it is like the fingers have a mind of their own when playing !

never give up !

that is a good point (not guitar player myself, more of a pianist but the point applies, my fingers have mind of their own!) :) have not started learning any kata yet (that's for next year after the holidays), but even just the line drills after a few weeks, i'm doing better. to start off with, it was do the move when it was called out, then follow other students, then do it with eyes closed so i couldn't see the others...now i just do it, nice and smooth :) even if i can't get my feet to point straight yet! :roll: