What art is better for street fighting?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not getting into a flame war...I'm just stating that I've seen many many fights, not just being in high school, but I've been at the wrong place at the wrong time before...I've also passed by a few bars where people got into it..and every fight I've seen...on the ground one way or another.

One of my good freinds does kenpo...his instructor is the champion in California I think, but he is real impressive. I do have some bragging rights though, Even though hes been doing MA 9 years longer than me I can still best him every once in a while. He always tries to get me to spare, but I don't. Once when he was doing that he engaged on me with a toe kick aimed above the waist somewhere, I moved my hips into his and knock him flat...He was almost surprised as much as I was...lol

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 3 months later...
Hmm..I don't think al of us said all street fights end up on the ground, but if you've ever watched a bunch of real fights...you'd know that about 70% of all street fights do end up in some type of ground fighting, whether it be ground and pound or throw down and get back up.
\

Well I have seen plenty of street fights, and back in the day i have been in many street fights and they rarely went to the ground. I have seen a few where the two guys have gone to the ground and it was basically when two of them couldn;t fight to begin with. Then again your experience may be different then mine. I can only go by my personal experience and observation. Mayeb you have seen fights where 70% have gone to the ground but to just make the broad statement that 70% of ALL fights go to the ground is makeing to broad a statement.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

i personaly dont think talent is that big a deal there are some guys who where way more talented than me but evey time i lost to them i just repeated over and over in my head "i will be champion" "i will work harder" and now i can beat all those guys even the ones who had a year or so of experience on me. here's a poem i found

Perfection is not born of talent

but achieved from endless sacrifice

reflect this well - me

Thx for your post , it inspired me . It happens that i just lost a big match tonight and was so depressed ( still depressed but i MUST work harder to defeat that guy next time )

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Well as I'm practising shidokan I think it's quite good for street fighting because there's a full contact in this karate and lots of kicks and punches. I think It's quite good for it

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

• 2 weeks later...

i've used shorin ryu in street fights and found it very effective. my theory is to keep it simple.....no high kicks or anything flashy. you can "handle" most untrained people with good punches and leg kicks.....they won't know what the hell to do. just stay under and out of the wild haymakers and most importantly, wear them down. 5 or 6 punches and they're winded. then you put em down