• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What art is better for street fighting?

i agree but sometimes you just have to fight. my freshman year this guy just wouldent stop dissing on my faith i tryed to be nice thin i tryed to just walk away one day i got so mad i took him down and choked him till coach pulled me off. in this case i guess he won in a way but the trash talk did stop. :)

Fist visible Strike invisible

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your absolutely right Straight Blast. MA's should make you a better person, not a thug. Confident people don't anger easily, because they don't feel threatened. Just pretend the person insulting you is a child, it won't bother you. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

The question to this topic is somewhat moot in my opinion.

The extent of training for a fight decides the outcome of ones ability. Its not the art but the level of deep motivational virtue in achieving high standards for oneself.

One may only train 2 hours per week and another may train 20 hours per week. Without doubt, the more training - the greater the effectiveness.

Many factors determines ones abilities in a fight and yet the foundation is the extent to which one trains.

A person practicing high volumes of technique will always out perform someone who does little or no training.

Any competant martial artist would never lose in a street fight. If you dont feel confident in defending yourself and defeating a street fighter then go and re-write your training programme.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I think what you say is true AnonymousOne, but it's not an absolute. Some people learn faster than others, some people are stronger and faster than others. Talent is a big factor in fighting. Also you can't teach someone to be aggressive when need be. You have to possess that fighting spirit, balanced with a calm mind. So if you are just training techniques over and over great, but you also have to cultivate your mind. Underestimating someone on the street is a big mistake. Street fights are like a box of chocolates. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Treebranch Thanks for your comments.

I do agree that some people have different talents. When I say "train" I am talking about someone who has dedicated many years of hard, assiduous effort to developing their mind and body for fighting.

I have never seen anyone who has dedicated many years with a proper training programme that is not competent.

I come from a back ground of traditional Japanese schools where the training is described as brutal and in many cases not palatable to the western psyche.

Of course no one should ever underestimate any opponent. However in my mind a properly trained karate-ka can be fully confident in a street fight.

To me, comparing the two is like comparing someone who has never done any running to competing against someone who has spent years of daily training and is fully equipped for running marathons for a contest in a marathon. There is no comparison. It doesn’t matter how much natural talent the person has, if he is going to compete against a trained and conditioned man, and he is not trained and conditioned, then he can expect little result in return.

I do realise that in the western world there are schools that have watered down the extent and degree of training that is considered traditional and made the training programmes more palatable to the western mind in order to keep students. Not many in the west are prepared for the harsh training of traditional Japanese schools. Sadly this is even happening in Japan itself.

Sadly, in the west, we look for fast methods to things. Unfortunately there is no drive through quick fix for karate competence. It takes years of striving to develop ones body wherein competence will lie.

A good teacher will fully prepare his student for battle field warfare against others prepared for battle field warfare. Karate was not developed in the hope that one might be able to defend oneself. It was developed for battle field warfare against armed Samurai. That is why traditional training is so arduous.

Someone who has never picked up a golf club like me would be arrogantly foolish to challenge Tiger Woods who has spent years practising. I may have some hidden talent for golf but none of it amounts to anything if not fostered through training. The talent just lies uselessly dormant.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

i personaly dont think talent is that big a deal there are some guys who where way more talented than me but evey time i lost to them i just repeated over and over in my head "i will be champion" "i will work harder" and now i can beat all those guys even the ones who had a year or so of experience on me. here's a poem i found

Perfection is not born of talent

but achieved from endless sacrifice

reflect this well - me

Fist visible Strike invisible

Jujitsu is awesome on the ground, but if more than 1 person attacks you, you also need to have standup skills..so kenpo is good..All arts have strong and weak points, hard to tell which one is "best"..to be honest I think the one that fits you best, is best for you.

You guys need to get over the idea that all fights end up as a grappling match...that is absolutely not the case. Quit watching the UFC fights. That is not street fighting. Street/bar fights, between adults are damned ugly affairs.

I'm 5 ft. 5 inches tall...155lbs...hell, everyone is bigger and stronger than me...if I go to the ground I'm in a world of hurt. I will take out your eyeballs, I will eat your nose, I will break your arms or legs, I will kill you before I let you take me to the ground.

If, by some quirk you do get me to the ground, I will not wrestle with you, I will not try to make you submit, I will bite, scratch, gouge...whatever it takes to get you off of me. Then I'm going to really be po'd.

Hmm..I don't think al of us said all street fights end up on the ground, but if you've ever watched a bunch of real fights...you'd know that about 70% of all street fights do end up in some type of ground fighting, whether it be ground and pound or throw down and get back up.