• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What art is better for street fighting?

Fortunatly most can be avoided with a little common sense. There was some question where one could see street fight videos. If you watch these you'll see that most end on the ground. However, you will also see that none of them have trained or their attack/defense would have been different and maybe they wouldn't have ended up on the ground. Except for one guy that trys a jump spin back kick in a street figth. Well didn't work well. No Duh! Why turn your back to an opponent. Unless you are lightening fast and deadly accurate. I still wouldn't do it.

http://www.comegetyousome.com

"Respect all arts. Listen instead of saying, this is how we do it."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I have been in some scraps, one involving a gun.

All were b4 learning Kenpo, or any other fighting art.

I held my own fairly well, I lost some, I won some.

After taking Kenpo, I am afraid to fight.

Not because of the fear of fighting, but the fear of what will happen to the other person after Im done with the altercation.

Kenpo is brutal, and incredibly effective, IF you find the right instructor.

While wearing an orange belt, I was fighting 2 TKD Black Belts point fighters in their own gym, (one on one) just horsing around. I mobbed them both with little effort, with my hands, and grappling.

While wearing an orange belt I fought a wing chun friend of mine, and devistated him with my feet. (He was same average belt rank as I was)

While wearing an orange belt, I fought a BJJ guy from standing, and from mount, and beat him both times. (He was same average belt rank as I was)

While wearing an orange belt, I was horsing around with a boxing friend of mine, who was highly skilled (considering he wasnt a pro boxer), and I beat him all day long with simple stance work, and feet.

Now imagine what I can do to an untrained person on the street.

Next imagine what I can do to an untrained person on the street after I have put in 5 more years, and have a black belt.

(And btw, I know, and pretend to know, exactly nothing about Kenpo, I am an orange belt novice.)

Proof is in the pudding. And Kenpos pudding is tasty :)

Kenpos principles, and methods are astoundingly simple, and incredibly effective.

I would suggest finding a good EPAK (Ed Parkers American Kenpo) school, and a least try it out.

Kenpo encompasses everything you would ever need to become an effective fighter. And when needed, a devistatingly brutal fighter.

In the little time I have put into it, Kenpo has changed my life. I walk differently, I talk differently, my confidence has been restored, I am happier, healthier, and have a much better temper.

God help the next guy that forces me into a situation I dont want to be in.

Anyways, good luck on your journey into the martial arts.

I hope you can experience Kenpo as I have. Mebbe our paths will cross.

Have a Very Merry Kenpo Holiday!

Sup Delta1 :)

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

Same old...! I wondered where you got off to. :)

I agree with your post, but wouldn't go so far as to say you have to do extensive dammage every time you fight. On the other hand, if you have to fight and things get a little carried away..., well, he should have behaved in the first place, huh!?

It's funny, but since training in Kenpo I've been in a lot less situations that even could have, let alone did, end in violence. 'Course, that could come with getting older too.

Hey, you and opnek, and everyone at the LTKKA have a good Christmas!

Freedom isn't free!

Oh no, I dont mean you have to kill and destroy everything that comes along. But if you need it, its there.

Same old...! I wondered where you got off to. :)

I agree with your post, but wouldn't go so far as to say you have to do extensive dammage every time you fight. On the other hand, if you have to fight and things get a little carried away..., well, he should have behaved in the first place, huh!?

It's funny, but since training in Kenpo I've been in a lot less situations that even could have, let alone did, end in violence. 'Course, that could come with getting older too.

Hey, you and opnek, and everyone at the LTKKA have a good Christmas!

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

and I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Kenpo! Good to hear similar experiences.

I have to concur with most everything in your post...right down to the part of not wanting to be in the situation...5yrs ago, I would have welcomed the chance...not anymore...again, maybe jsut getting old.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

For striking, I highly recommend Muay Thai. But there are also a lot of great striking arts like Karate, Kung Fu, TKD, etc...

For Grappling, I highly recommend Judo, because it will make u good at stand up, and ground grappling. But u will have to find a good Judo school, because a lot of Judo schools focus too much on stand up grappling. Other great grappling arts are: A lot of the Japanese Jiu-Jutsu styles, Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu(Amazing for the ground), Wrestling, and Sambo.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

My objective opinion after having studied Shun tao hu Kung fu and Okinawan Tai Karate Do is the following :

- No technique is best for every man and situation

- Most battles depend on the circumstances (only when both fighters know how to fight)

- Since nothing is perfect find what you think fits best in your character/body and try to perfect in it .Then search and fill your technique's gaps with simple effective techniques .(requires MANY years ... )

- I prefer Chinese Martial arts because of their natural flow and detailed technique .Eventually ,after some time you will learn finger techniques ,chi flow and you will have a great variety of techniques to choose from .But remember : "You learn 1000 techniques ,you become expert in 100 ,you automate (light speed) 10"

- Karate is too linear for my appetite and judgement(not even talking about kickboxing) .

- Never believe you can fight anyone ,no matter your level .Remember :circumstances :wink:

----------------

CARPE DIEM

----------------

the art doesnt make as big a difference as the philosophy.

whichever art you take make certain it teaches all ranges of fighting.

Anyone who says, XXXXX Art is the best is speaking from a biased thought.

Personally I have to say I believe Kenpo is the best.

but once again I am biased.

The best art is going to be the one that teaches all ranges of fighting and is able to fit your body style.

Many times now days this means a combination of styles.

which is why MMA(mixed martial arts( has seen such a surge in the last 5 years.

There is only one best and that is the one you can actually employ or deploy when the time comes. If you can find a place that teaches as Lucky and others have said all ranges that would be the best place to start, but that does not mean that the teacher can teach or even knows what to teach so there you now need to research the school even if that just means watch, listen and dont be affraid of the book store most have a wide range of styles and systems to seach through. It is my opinion that you should also learn to handle a knife and maybe a stick, though you may not run around with either the knife or stick once you learn the concepts and ranging improvised weapons will now be part of your arsenal. Oh yea it dont happen over night, it dosent have to take 5 years to be proficant and knowedgeable but it can take a few years depending on your ability to learn and your teachers ability and knowledge, and you may need more than one teacher, wow looks complicated now huh, even if it is alittle work if you find a home in the fighting arts you will never be satisfied with out more and more knowledge, at least I am not.

Survivor