• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What art is better for street fighting?

Most fights end up on the ground......unless you are lucky, very very good, or insanely strong/lucky, a real confrontation will end up on the ground. Period. I wouldn't ignore striking, but I sure wish I knew more grappling...

That is a sterotype- I was a bouncer for years and heard that I have seen 2% go to the ground and that is usualy only after one is too tired and beaten to stand.

Why would you learn to take a guy down on purpose if your in a club, in a line , at the subway, at the air port, at a bank.....Thank about it and you will realize it's useless unless the other guy has studied and grapples you.

Where exactly were you a bouncer at? And how many actual confrontations were you exposed to? Also this is somewhat offtopic but you listed Bushido as a style of martial arts in your Avatar. Bushido is not a martial art I was wondering why you added it to your "styles" list.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

escaping a clinch is not impossible it can be done, and an experienced fighter will get free easily.

If you are an Ultimate Fighter Fan, as a lot of people in here are, you've seen people trying to clinch and getting either an elbow or a knee.

I dont really follow that show, but I do practice for self defense and we are taught to use clinches but not all the time as a good striker or grappler will take advantage of this.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

escaping a clinch is not impossible it can be done, and an experienced fighter will get free easily.

If you are an Ultimate Fighter Fan, as a lot of people in here are, you've seen people trying to clinch and getting either an elbow or a knee.

I dont really follow that show, but I do practice for self defense and we are taught to use clinches but not all the time as a good striker or grappler will take advantage of this.

Thats the problem that uneducated fans of mixed martial arts have though- they see someone who's labeled a "striker" and easily defends against the clinch attempts of someone who's labeled a "grappler" and assume that its just that easy.

All of these fighters are excellent in all ranges of combat and have had extensive private training by top professionals in each area of expertise.

These guys have people like Randy Couture teaching them the basics of the clinch and Chuck Liddel teaching them the basics of the striking game. These are guys who are pros in those areas and havent just been exposed to it.

Thats the problem that uneducated fans of mixed martial arts have though- they see someone who's labeled a "striker" and easily defends against the clinch attempts of someone who's labeled a "grappler" and assume that its just that easy.

All of these fighters are excellent in all ranges of combat and have had extensive private training by top professionals in each area of expertise.

These guys have people like Randy Couture teaching them the basics of the clinch and Chuck Liddel teaching them the basics of the striking game. These are guys who are pros in those areas and havent just been exposed to it.

I was under the impression that clinching was a muay Thai/boxing/kickboxing technique not a grappling technique.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

I was under the impression that clinching was a muay Thai/boxing/kickboxing technique not a grappling technique.

Not neccesarily, even though clinching IS a part of Muay Thai, boxing, and kickboxing (ISKA) clinch fighting is only allowed in Muay Thai.

Clinch fighting is much more a part of grappling than muay thai. Wrestling and other grappling arts dont simply have double leg takedowns as a means of taking someone down, even though this is often seen in mixed martial arts competitions. If you watch something as simple as high school wrestling, you'll see alot of clinch work being used, and you'll even notice that when wrestlers use doubles and singles, they often set it up from the clinch. Natrually, the clinch is even more so a part of grappling in specific styles such as Greco Roman Wrestling and Judo

Clinching is referred to as close proximity fighting. Grapplers use this close range scenario to take down the opponent.

--someone could probably explain it better than me--

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Clinching is referred to as close proximity fighting. Grapplers use this close range scenario to take down the opponent.

--someone could probably explain it better than me--

yeah, I just wasnt sure :-?

There is no teacher but the enemy.

• 2 weeks later...

i say you take some sort of okinawan style that it real close to the roots, so it has all the real techniques. a good one is matsamura seito shorin ryu or matsabayashi shorin ryu

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."