• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What art is better for street fighting?

I read the first few page then I skipped to the last and i guess we got off topic! But to bring things back, In my old town that was all we did was fight, it was like recreation, some more than others (haha) I myself have been in a few altercations before I knew anything about MA. I actually won most of them but I did lose some of them, and I will atribute those losses to lack of training/preparation(as fights tend to come out of nowhere anyway) Now that I have been in Kempo for some time I realize things I could have done to difuse the situation and I too fear what I CAN do having unwillingly tested it on a few occations (sp?)

from my experience Kempo is so deverse that there is basically a technique for almost every situation you run into, then you hammer on them to where your reaction will be fast and instinctive. And im only half way through the rankings.

A good kempo fight is a short one.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessarily. Some styles, which I'm not naming, try to drag out fights in order to have it "easier" for them, I guess.....

we all try to win as fast as we can but its not always so..... thats why BlueDevil said what he said. in his style they dont drag out fights.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

thats basically it, we usually end fight within a few strikes to vital areas of course that doesnt always work but thats true of any style as well

There is no teacher but the enemy.

not necessarily. Some styles, which I'm not naming, try to drag out fights in order to have it "easier" for them, I guess.....

we all try to win as fast as we can but its not always so..... thats why BlueDevil said what he said. in his style they dont drag out fights.

That's generally a personal decision, IME. I've never trained in a style, nor known anyone in a style where they were taught not to end it quickly. Now, that said, in competitive venues, you will see this done - Not because they don't want to end it quickly, but for strategic reasons. You are fighting someone just as skilled or MORE skilled than you. If you don't feel him out, you may get mauled. If you go in to end it quickly, he is able to hold his own and you get tired, you get mauled. These are strategic and are not the inherent nature of the style.

I think the best styles for street fighting are Krav Maga and Wing Chun.

I dunno... I've never seen any WC that really impressed me.... not to the caliber that everyone claims it to be. Is it effective? sure, but I wouldn't place it above anything else.

I think krav maga is great, but it's becoming WAY too commercial, at least in america. have you seen all of the ads and things these guys put out? This will eventually lead (and has already started) to make it the next McSensation. I think their saving grace is the same that thai boxing has - they train hard - that will tend to ward off people that aren't serious, if all schools follow a similar training regimen.

yeah, i understand strategy perfectly well, but u have to be thinking 2 things,

1. if your opponent has friends around, you will get beat on the ground as you fight just one.

2.if you drag the fight, he might figure a way to beat you or go looking for a weapon

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

You have to understand why fights get drawn out.

It doesnt matter whether your style trains to end fights quickly or not- name me a style that says otherwise.

Fights either go on very long because you have two very skilled fighters, or one who is holding. Endurance is your best weapon in a fight, especially should you find yourself outclassed against another fighter. You dont have a choice- its either get knocked out right away, or try your best to hold, defend, and prolong the fight and hope for a mistake by your opponent.

If your opponent has friends around, you will get beat on the ground AND on the feet as you fight just one. Odds are against you in either scenario

Higher skilled opponents dont drag the fight- if youre dragging the fight, either you are outclassed, outweighed, or simply dont want to fight. As the fight goes on, you may find a way to beat HIM. As far as him looking for a weapon, is he seriously going to scour the city in search of an automatic weapon while you beat his head in with your fist, or is reality like a double dragon game where knives, shards of glass, and bats randomly appear on the ground?

I think its commonly forgotten that quite often that a group of street fighters looking for a fight sometimes let you beat thier "friend's" head in.......however i think mostly youll get teamed

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn