• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What art is better for street fighting?

well, depending on the school- some kenpo schools can be great for self defense.

Kajukenbo has techniques that have been proven on the streets for self defense.

I've sparred with people from KArate and Wing Chun- those are pretty effective but it all depends on how well they train, u see...

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all, can someone tell me why in karate we do forms and kata but when we spar we use boxing stance and throw jabs and round house and uppercuts? why don't i see anyone at a karate tournament use the moves from the kata? Can someone please explain? thank you. sorry if this is a stupid question.

Live to learn. I am a White belt in BJJ.

You never see anyone (intelligent enough) chamber a punch from their hips in a fight either.

But the purpose of chambering a punch from the hips is to teach someone to put their body weight, hips, and shoulder behind a punch to give it power, rather than simply punching with the strength of your arms.

depends on the style- some fight in boxing stance but I'm sure I know a couple of schools that dont use the boxing stance.

Some Kajukenbo schools teach the boxing stance- where I practice we're told to adopt any position that's comfortable as long as its practical and wont get you hurt.

SubGrappler,

why is it in practice i see karateka practice low horse stance and punching from the hips and when they spar they use none of it, even 3rd degree black belts? Why am i taught this stuff and told to use different stuff when i'm fighting(like don't leave your hands extended, keep your hands up, move don't be a stationary target and so on so on)? I'm asking here because i am afraid of asking my sensei. I don't want to offend him.

Live to learn. I am a White belt in BJJ.

horse stance builds leg strength, punching in that stance is to learn to throw full punches, not hold them back.

why dont they use these in a fight? some postures are used, not everyone finds them comfortable enough to sparr in.

Sorry for answering on his behalf.

horse stance builds leg strength, punching in that stance is to learn to throw full punches, not hold them back.

why dont they use these in a fight? some postures are used, not everyone finds them comfortable enough to sparr in.

Sorry for answering on his behalf.

Leg endurance, not leg strength...

And you are NOT supposed to spar in those stances. Stances are transitional... you use them as a natural part of your footwork and transitioning into and out of techniques.

ou don't have to punch from a stance in order to learn to throw full power punches...

You never see anyone (intelligent enough) chamber a punch from their hips in a fight either.

But the purpose of chambering a punch from the hips is to teach someone to put their body weight, hips, and shoulder behind a punch to give it power, rather than simply punching with the strength of your arms.

They also represent grabs and breaks