• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What art is better for street fighting?

i'm planing on getting into martial arts soon but i'm still looking for the type i want. i'm wanting something that is actually good with street fighting. for example, kenpo karate isn't that good for street fighting because it teaches jujistu and that isn't good for street fighting. i say this because all the moves are grappling moves and you will never use that in a fight. main reason is casue you have to go on the ground and i don't know about where your at but here, alot of guys will jump in if your on the ground. so, what do you think is the best for actual fighting?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most fights end up on the ground......unless you are lucky, very very good, or insanely strong/lucky, a real confrontation will end up on the ground. Period. I wouldn't ignore striking, but I sure wish I knew more grappling...

Sinar89, I'm not sure where you got your information. But it is inacurate. Jujitsu has more standup grappling than ground work. And the Kenpo/Kempo systems all concentrate far more on stand up fighting than on ground work. This is especially true of American Kenpo. But even Kempojujutsu is primarily a stand up art.

American Kenpo is primarily a street self defense oriented system, and very effective. And most of the rest of the Kempo family of styles are pretty effective as well. I've also seen a lot of other schools, some of which are disrespected by others (like TKD) which are taught as a verry effective fighting system. I've also seen good systems taught poorly. So my advice is to keep an open mind and check out all the schools in your area, and pick one that you think trains realistically and that suits you.

By the way, I disagree that all, or even the vast majority of fights will end up with even one person on the ground, let alone both. But the vast majority of fights do start standing up, and almost none start on the ground. Groundwork is important, but I think standup is more important, which includes standup grappling. Just my opinion.

Freedom isn't free!

i got my info from a guy that put his kid into kenpo karate....then again i don't think they picked a good one. they did no research whatso ever. they just thought "hey, i heard from movies that martial arts make for good diciplin.........ok, were signing you up kids". but anyways, is Tae Kwon DO good for street fighting? for a while i was skeptical cause i saw a video and all it was was 2 people fighting but one would kick over the person head, the other would duck. then he would kick, the other would duck and so on. but then i reliezed that i think it was just a training exercise (honestly, in a real fight your not going to be throwing alot of kicks to the face. they just leave you to open unless you like bruce lee good. but, is that good for street fight? what are some others?

Tae Kwon Do (TKD) can be a very effective combative martial art. It is mostly in how it is taught and trained. But most TKD is sport oriented, not fighting, and there's a big difference.

Most any style can be an effective fighting art if taught and trained for that purpose. But the instructor has to have an excellant understanding of the principles and concepts involved, and know the difference in purpose of sport moves and seriouse combat. The first thing that even the TKD schools do when training for combat is to get rid of a lot of high kicks and flashy moves. And they start varrying the ranges in their one steps and sparing. They also start actually hitting each other. And they practice their moves under force and speed. That's what I'd look for in any prospective self defense school.

Freedom isn't free!

Street fighting is an art all it's own. I'd pit a good street fighter up against any style. Note I said a good street fighter. Whether a martial art is going to protect you in a confrontation depends entirely on you. How good are you? How well do you understand your chosen style? How well can you apply what you understand? I like to equate martial arts knowledge to owning a gun. The gun is only effective as the person squeezing the trigger.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

actually, the main reason kempo would be innefective is not because of its grappling but because of how they teach striking.

Well, that comment certainly begs an explanation :-?

Freedom isn't free!

kenpo strikes are fast, hard, and contact your most vulnerable areas. each strike is designed to exploit the weakest areas no matter what stance or form your in. that's it's biggest advantage when used in a fight. i don't see how they can be inneffectine since most targets are close to dangerous or sensitive areas. inneffective is most definately the last thing i'd use to describe it.

i'm planing on getting into martial arts soon but i'm still looking for the type i want. i'm wanting something that is actually good with street fighting. for example, kenpo karate isn't that good for street fighting because it teaches jujistu and that isn't good for street fighting. i say this because all the moves are grappling moves and you will never use that in a fight. main reason is casue you have to go on the ground and i don't know about where your at but here, alot of guys will jump in if your on the ground. so, what do you think is the best for actual fighting?

1: yes most fights WILL go to the ground- go buy yourself ANY Dvd of street fights at your local mall and see how, in fact, every one practically goes to the ground. To be fair though, most fights start standing up.

2: There is an INCREDIBLE difference between Japanese Ju Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu- dont incorporate all jiu jitsu into one.

3: If you're facing multiple opponents, you're in trouble no matter what you know (or what you THINK you know). Often people dont WANT to go to the ground, but fights dont happen they way we want them to- they're chaotic by nature and there will be a clinch which most often ends up falling down. If you dont want to be on the ground, your training in grappling will enable you to either avoid being taken down yourself, or allow you to protect yourself should you get taken down (and recover back to your feet if you prefer).

I would suggest a practical style that teaches you effective hand combinations and participates in live hard contact sparring. Avoid anything that claims to teach you deadly strikes that no one can survive.

For striking: boxing and/or muay thai (i'd suggest thai first)

For grappling: Wrestling (if possible) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and Sambo