• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

trademark technique

DD

hey guys, my instructor has told me that my need to find my trademark technique for sparring, a technique that I can use effectively, and is special to me. Do any of you guys have a trademark technique. What is it and how did you come to use it so much?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what to say to that. On the surface, I'd have to disagree with him. But before I jump to conclusions (my trademark technique here :) ), what is he trying to get across? Is he excluding other techniques? Is he talking about techniques in the regular Kenpo sense, or just some moves that work well for you and that you perfect better than others? Is there a deep understanding of what these techniques teach and do, or is it just a sparing gimmick? Need some more info before giving a good answer. And you need to understand the point he's making; what he's trying to accomplish here. Let us know.

Freedom isn't free!

he's just talking about becoming skillful with a technique that I can use consistently when needed. at least I think that's what he meant :-? and I see that you do kenpo. can you tell me some of the things I may start learning when I reach black belt? right now, I'm a 2nd degree brown belt. also, is there a certain amount of time you have to wait before you go up a degree of black belt, or is it just based on skill level? thanks :karate:

Most AK schools base rank on skill level and understanding. None of them I've seen promote quickly, though. And I'm an intermediate level Kenpoist, not a black belt. If you are at brown, you're probably senior to me. My belt is gray, my knowlege varries, and my skills are suffering some with age.

Best answer I can give you is the example of Bill Wallace. His trademark, which earned him his nickname of Superfoot, was his kicks. Fast, powerful, accurate, and allways thrown with the same foot. The other leg was dammaged. It worked well for him, BUT it wasn't all he could do. He was an excellant, well rounded karateka, and could set you up for those kicks with other techniques or moves. And he had other offenses for different situations or opponents. Maybe something like this is what your instructor is getting at.

Freedom isn't free!

I'd say my trademark is boxing my opponents while point-sparring with others, especially higher ranks. I simply can't match them on their terms with kicks, so I blitz them and start tagging them with jabs, crosses, hooks, and uppercuts. Also I have a pretty trademark trait of taking kicks to my midsection to get on the inside, which in my eyes is a pretty fair trade off (in point-sparring)

The greatest clarity is profound silence.

I wouldn't say it was my "trademark", but one technique that I like and use a lot is backfist.

My belt is gray, my knowlege varries, and my skills are suffering some with age.

Delta, is your belt just grey with age, or is it a recognised belt colour (like red for example) within AK? Just curious!! :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Delta, is your belt just grey with age, or is it a recognised belt colour (like red for example) within AK? Just curious!! :D

Same color as my ghi- since they were dyed in the same vat. I chose it because it matches my hair (which is grey with age), and because it is no recognized color of rank in any system I've come across.

Freedom isn't free!

I actually stumbled into my "trademark technique" by accident. I was watching my "hero" in knockdown, Andy Hug and he had this amazing ax kick. I had never tried to use it before, but one night sparring out of a little anger and a lot of frustration I threw it and it landed. At first I thought it was a fluke until the next time I threw it and it landed. In the biginning I was resistant to the idea of being known as a "trademarked" fighter, but in time I got used to it. In the martial arts world of today I use my ax kick only on rare occasions when something is out of control and I need to put an end to things fast. I have now become dubbed as a hook kicker.

Now when I was boxing in "The Gloves" I was always told that every other fighter hated my Jab. I used to used it like a swarm of nats, but later on after sparring with some pro fighters I learned how to use it a a knockout technique.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."