• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I call myself a mixed martial artist because I have cross trained in grappling and striking arts.

I train solely for self-dense, however I think competition would be a lot of fun, but then being 20 years younger would be fun too. :D

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

but would you say that the same is also true for the more traditional arts?

i.e

'traditional' martial arts are also misunderstood

(or maybe just badly practiced.....)

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I would say Traditional martial arts are some what misunderstood also. I dont think they are as misunderstood as MMA, but I will say I have met a few people out there who have a large misunderstanding of traditional arts, normally its the inexperienced I think who misunderstand tradtional arts.

my opinion

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

I 'do' MMA but I'm a cross-trainer at heart -if that isn't a contradiction. The basic difference between MMA and Cross-training -at leasty on the UK scene, is that MMA combines the phases (strike, clinch, ground) whereas cross-training studies them seperately. But in the great scheme of things, the two genures are at the same (progressive) end of the spectrum -each with pros and cons.

People hear what they want to hear....

http://www.armbell.com/forum/banners/mabattleground.jpg

http://www.armbell.com/forum/index.php?mforum=mabattleground

I would say Traditional martial arts are some what misunderstood also. I dont think they are as misunderstood as MMA, but I will say I have met a few people out there who have a large misunderstanding of traditional arts, normally its the inexperienced I think who misunderstand tradtional arts.

my opinion

I agree. BUT, I think TMA has brought that misunderstanding upon itself.

1. too many secrets

2. too many masters

3. too many unverifiable stories

4. too much mystery - chi, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

My two euro-cents - once again...

The body only has a certain number of attacking / blocking tools and there are only a certain number of ways of using these to block / attack a target, also there are only limited ways to apply effective leverage to a man shaped target or generate power in ur attack defensive technique.... therefore it should be obvious that most martial arts comprise of similar techniques at the basic level(punch)

Seventh Star-Where in Tennessee are you, and where do you train?

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.