• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

~Mixing of Poomse~

To all Taekwondo and Tang Soo Do practitioners out there, I have a question for you.

Do your dojangs mix poomse?

The reason I ask is because I'm a Taekwondo practioner and so far, I know Tae Guek 1 - 6. I also know Kitch Cho Il Boo, Kitch Cho I Boo, and Kitch Cho Sam Boo along with Pyongwan Cho Dan, Pyongwan I Dan, and Pyongwan Sam Dang, which are Tang Soo Do forms?

I'm not complaining or anything, but if we are a Taekwondo school, why are we being taught Tang Soo Do forms? I asked one of my instructors, but he doesn't know enough English to explain it to me.

Also, for belt promotion tests, we have to know Tang Soo Do forms. Anyone else have a school like this?

Edited by Keumgang

There are no inns on the highway to death. For whose house will I stay in tonite?

Prince Otsu, Japan 751 AD

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Pyeong'An hyung are traditional - you can find them in many martial arts, even those Okinawan and Japanese, not just the Korean ones. They are also traditional to the kwan style of TaeKwonDo. The later-created poomse (you Taeguks) are relatively recent forms, and have more to do with the sport aspect of your art (IMO). It's not a question of "Tang Soo Do" and "Tae Kwon Do" forms, its "traditional" and "newly-created". Sounds to me, from the requirement of the traditional forms for promotion, you are being taught the art, kwan-style, not the sport.

Thanks - What's the difference between Kwan Style and Sport?

Also, my grandmaster wears a blue/red Tang Soo Do belt and we are a Taekwondo school...LOL.... I've only seen him where his TKD belt a few times. :)

There are no inns on the highway to death. For whose house will I stay in tonite?

Prince Otsu, Japan 751 AD

My school used to use the pyeong forms, but a few years ago we switched to taeguk.... I never asked why.... hmmm.... :-?

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

The kwan style would be the "kwan system", or the traditional Korean method of teaching as an art (traditional being how it was originally done with the creation of the Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and various Tae Kwon Do Kwans. Ask your instructor which specific kwan your TKD is for a little more info than I can give). The sport style would focus more on competition, point sparring technique, etc.

i think it really depends on the school and instructor. i think it is great when one gets to learn from multiple systems. it is also interesting to see the similarties in forms between different systems.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Definitely not unheard of. I think it's great when schools try to expand the students knowledge. As long as the core of TKD is taught then I'm all for the adding of new forms and techniques.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

We do the the Chang-Hon, the TaeGuek, and the Palgwe family of forms, with an occasional Karate or Chinese kata.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

We do Kalmsan and Cay Moon-which are Jhoon Rhee forms, we do Won Hyo, Hwa Rang, Chung Mu and Gae Baek-which are Chang Hon forms and we also do Kanku Dai, Bassai Dai, Empi and Gojushiho Sho-which are shotokan karate forms. I like all the forms however I get the feeling that they present a somewhat haphazard collection of our techniques. Instead of a set of encyclopedias we have instead...a dictionary, a thesaurus, a book on anatomy and so on.

Long Live the Fighters!