• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thai clinch + knees to the face against wildly swinging foes

You know how in little scuffles people get into, there is always someone who leans forward and starts wildly swinging there arms horizontally in the general direction of their enemy?

I was thinking. Would not running strait toward them, putting them in a thai clinch, and sending a few knees to their face not quickly end the fight? Are there any better tactics for it? By better I meen faster. Both in time and number of necesary strikes. The shorter the fight the less time for you to get hurt, eh?

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're curious what brought it up, I got stuck in a situation like that last year. I think the guy was a bit unstable because we got in a verbal argument and the next minute he was red in the face and swinging at me.

His wild throws were easy enough to knock away, but all I realy did back was throw jabs, having no desire to fight. The problem is that it ended up lasting a long time because of that. Eventually, even a couple sloppy punches landed, and though it didn't, it could've done some damage.

I want to make sure that if I get in a similar situation, I can end it sooner. Walking away is a bit difficult to do when you have an angry guy that's going to follow right after you. =P

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Would not running strait toward them, putting them in a thai clinch, and sending a few knees to their face not quickly end the fight? Are there any better tactics for it? By better I meen faster. Both in time and number of necesary strikes.

Step in to a good stance and deliver one upward elbow to his chin/jaw. Fight ends real quick, and the strike doubles as a clearing check as well as a block, while you are not on one leg, nor vulnerable to a kick going in. And there are more effective defenses against the clinch and knee than against a properly executed upward elbow strike (not that it isn't effective, by any means).

Just one suggestion, out of many possible tactics and techniques. Depends a lot on the specific situation/variables also. Bottom line- there's more than one way to skin a cat, which is a good thing because every cat is a little different.

Freedom isn't free!

you shoudl use alot of elbows in a fight because its the hardest part on ur body, and instead of punching with a fist which will cause you to break ur knuckles most likely, slap instead, one good slap across the ear and hell be out and just get in there, put ur chin down and start hailing with elbows, keep presing in on him, even when he punches, weather the storm and keep going.

and instead of punching with a fist which will cause you to break ur knuckles most likely, slap instead,
Faces realy aren't all that hard except for the top of the forhead. Nothing I'm going to bust a knuckle over as long as I use reasonably good form. :-P

I'll keep elbows in mind. Thanks guys. :)

The only way I could imagine someone breaking a knuckle on someone else's jaw is if he had unproper wrist/fist alignement. And we train to harden our knuckles and have proper technique right?

I'd only pick open hand "slaps" (those slaps can be very hard :cry: ) is when you are confident that you can overpower the opponent without inflicting too much damage.

What about the cheeks, teeth, and jaw?

Cheeks are only hard up toward the cheekbone and the jaw gives a lot even if the punch is strait forward. Teeth would hurt like hell to punch, but the sharpness of them would equally hurt a palm.

Your on the right track, like others have said here it depends on each situation. I'm a strong believer in closing the gap while getting in some hard strikes rather they be punches elbows or knees and then taking the attacker to the ground with a takedown or throw and finishing with a stomp and getting the hell out of there if possible. Try to avoid going to the ground with your attacker if you can because you just dont know what other people might do to you while your down there.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

The only way I could imagine someone breaking a knuckle on someone else's jaw is if he had unproper wrist/fist alignement. And we train to harden our knuckles and have proper technique right?

I'd only pick open hand "slaps" (those slaps can be very hard :cry: ) is when you are confident that you can overpower the opponent without inflicting too much damage.

you don't always have picture perfect technique while fighting - breaks can happen. The traditional way I learned was hard to soft and soft to hard. In other words, the fist strikes soft areas - the stomach, liver, kidneys, biceps, etc. whereas the palm strikes harder areas such as the jaw and forehead.