• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There's something fishy going on at the West Wind dojo!

As far as people paying what they think its worth bear in mind that the majority of the public does NOT know a whole lot about fighting and martial arts- its VERY easy to decieve people and by telling them you can make them high and mighty, anyone will pay anything for that.

And it's just as easy for those students to go to the library, check out other schools, look on the internet, etc. If a person is truly awful, the market will not support them. However, if he teaches ineffective stuff, but his students work up a good sweat and have fun... maybe that's all they want: a workout.

But the fact that hes got a nice car or anything like that means nothing- I know of a TKD school around me that has close to 300 students at $79 a month- completely affordable for anyone and plenty of money for him. Theres nothing wrong with that.

$79/month is not "affordable for anyone" but this proves my point. If I open a school in the burbs, yeah, I might need to charge that much to cover expenses, and the median income of the area might support that much money... in a more rural area, or an economically depressed area, I might be teaching for $30 a month, or for free at the Y...

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
For heaven's sake! At what point did it become a crime to actually earn some money doing something you like? Seems to me like there's an awful lot of jealousy around.

At least an instructor who makes a profit is not going to have to shut down unexpectedly because of lack of funding. The likelihood is that they will be able to put on more lessons a week as well.

And as for screwing people out of money... no one FORCES anyone to pay for these lessons. People pay whatever they think it's worth, if they don't think it's worth it they will find somewhere else which does fit with their expectations.

Just because someone drives a nice car does not make them bad people! Just because they are full time instructors does not make them bad people, nor does it mean that their instruction will necessarily be poor.

Stop believing what you are spoon fed and start thinking for yourselves! Life is not so simple - it is not black and white, there are shades of grey everywhere!

:roll:

Have you looked into this particular school? It just may be the worst martial arts school- EVER. Of course theres nothing wrong with making a profit on what you teach, but if what you teach isnt what you claim it to be, thats a different story altogether.

As far as people paying what they think its worth bear in mind that the majority of the public does NOT know a whole lot about fighting and martial arts- its VERY easy to decieve people and by telling them you can make them high and mighty, anyone will pay anything for that.

But the fact that hes got a nice car or anything like that means nothing- I know of a TKD school around me that has close to 300 students at $79 a month- completely affordable for anyone and plenty of money for him. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Of course I haven't trained at that school. I am not assuming it is a fantastic school, but neither am I assuming that just because it is a for profit school and that the Instructor drives a nice car that it is a bad school.

All I am saying is that one cannot make any assumptions about it unless one actually goes and train there yourself. If you don't like it you move on and find somewhere you do like. There are obviously plenty of people that do find it somewhere they want to be, and something they want to spend their money on, We cannot be the dojo police and tell people where they can or can't be training. If we find it a McDojo of the highest order that is up to us, but we should not be treating other people like under-educated morons and try to save them from themselves. The truth is some people want McDojo type karate!!

Oh the horror! ;)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum