• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

tokaido vs shureido

karatekaBR86

Hello all, I will be recieving my 1st dan, and thought it's time to invest on a nice gi. My questions is, which gi is of better quality. I am looking at 12 oz tokaido, and equivalent shureido. Your suggestions?

-Nicholas :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello!!! :D

I would like to know where can i fild tokaido uniforms in England.

Thank you! :karate:

Hi Marion! Welcome to KF.

Try these UK websites:

Meijin

Playwell

Karate Kid

I own a Tokaido gi and I bought mine from Meijin UK. They were very quick with shipping.

Hope that helps! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Both Tokaido and Shureido are state-of-the-art karatedo-gi that are pretty much of an equal quality. Personally, I am a Shureido user, but my next do-gi might be Tokaido - or then Hirota, from which I've only been hearing praises lately.

Reason for thinking about the brand change is that Shureido has seemed to drop its quality a bit lately - not a lot, and its do-gi still are among the very best you can get, but still enough to make me to think about giving Tokaido or Hirota a chance.

You can't go wrong with these brands, so choose freely.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Hey Jussi,

How is the fit around the shoulders on those 2 brands? I'm always feeling confined in the shoulders. I've been a big fan of Ronin 1 size larger. I have somewhat of an ape-like build big and wide upperbody with little legs. :-? The durability is not as good as the Shureido but its half the price. If santa were to bring me a new gi at that price I'm a little squeemish that it won't fit to my likeing. I'm also concerned about shrinkage (the uniform :P).

There's nothing worse than shelling out all that cash and then hating your uniform. I have a couple in my closet I almost never wear because I hate the fit.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, this might come in late, but...

If you really want to have something that fits, get a custom made do-gi. Tokaido, Hirota and Shureido all do these, as do the American brand called "Satori-gi".

Shureido - and usually the "tournament cut" -do-gi of most brands - is pretty roomy on the shoulder area.

Of course, you can measure the key areas of a do-gi that fits and mail them to the selected retailer. If their service is good, they'll find you a do-gi that fits. If they won't do that for you (and only refer to some vague size chart), it's time to find an another retailer.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I owned the shureido super heavyweight do-gi, and thought it was the best gi in the world......until I bought a Mejin gi from Dragon associates

I never had a gi fit like this one, and you can split sizes 1-7...and they run up to size 10!!! Excellent fit and service!!

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei