• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ or Judo with Wing Chun?

, my point was that a lot of Bjj practioners always say that Judo gives u bad habbits on the ground, and Judo has little ground work in it, which is DEFENITLY not true.

Of course it is true, like Wrestlers, Judokas tend to give their backs very often, if you don't think that it is a bad habit go to a BJJ or submission wrestling school and do it, you'll see what happens...

Judo has less ground work than BJJ, Judoka's strong point are throws since that is what they practice most time, as BJJ's strong point is ground work since most times you'll be there.

IMHO, maybe in BJJ you don't have as much throws as you have in Judo, but you have basics one throws with gi, takedowns without the gi (wrestling ones) that in many Judo's gym DON'T teach you, and some valetudo's takedowns.

But, once again, if you really wanna be good a throws with gi, get in Judo, if you wanna get good on takedowns without the Gi get in Wrestling :)

And for the original topic, i would suggest you BJJ over Judo + Wing Tsun.. maybe if you want to cross train i'd suggest you some muay thai or boxing

Valencia - Venezuela.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a LOT of ground work in judo. it is not seen on the matches if you compare bjj matches and judo matches bjj maybe has more ground work. but Judoka knows atleast the same amount of ground techniques as Brazilian jujitsuka or even more.

As was said earlier, yes there is a lot of groundwork in Judo, but when people say that, they are often comparing it to BJJ, which has the MOST groundwork of any other grappling system (the ENTIRE class is spent on groundfighting).

Even if a Judoka knew the same amount of techniques an equal level of Jiu Jitsu guy did (which I find rather unlikely) the BJJ guy is more proficient at those moves. For example, every move I do against my training partners in class, they know it as well. The reason why I can do it and they cant is because Im more proficient at it.

Judo has very little ground work usually only when compared to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. NOT TRUE!!!! I've been in jujutsu and seen brazilian jiu jitsui trainings and and for what i've seen Judo has a lot groundwork!!! i mean a LOT!!!

Unfortunately' date=' yes it is true. Practically 100% of every BJJ class is dedicated to groundwork. Another style could only have as much groundwork, but not more (how can you spend more than 100% of your time on something?). Yes, Judo does alot of groundwork, but people who are saying it has little are comparing it to BJJ which is a true statement.

Now when i was in the finnish national championship competitions (when i was junior) i had a yellow belt in judo and a yellow belt in jujutsu. I fought against a bigger guy then i was and he had a green belt and wit my judo skills i got three perfect throws (3points from each) and won him on the ground by doing simple locks and stuff like that and this guy with green belt didn't know anything on the ground!!!

Well hey, good for you- nice victory. There are things to take into account here though.

You may have had a better instructor

You said you had a yellow belt in jiu jitsu

You had 3 nice throws

Kids divisions vary vastly in terms of age (i.e. a 14 yr old fighting a 17 yr old is a VERY lopsided fight in terms of the older fighter being much more mature).

I've cheered for my friends in Judo when they do BJJ tournaments (mostly they're doing in house tournaments) but Judo gives you a great grappling base, theres no two ways about it. From my experience, a typical Judo blackbelt has ground skills of an advanced white to blue belt on the ground (often when a Judo black belt would compete in the in house tournaments, it would only take about 1 or 2 tournaments before they'd be promoted to blue belt). Even one guy I used to train with was Nationally ranked and had been doing Judo since he was a kid- his ground skills were that of a seasoned blue belt, and he crosstrained too. He would not defeat anyone purple or above (not that thats a bad thing- its very difficult to beat a purple or above in grappling).

There is also an interview with the Camirillo brothers, famous for their competition in both BJJ and Judo (they did Judo first) and they talk about exactly this- BJJ vs Judo. If you want, I can dig up the interview and post the link.

i thought this was a way to better round your self. why have another founation of ground work when you have bjj? your just holding your self back a bit

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.