• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ or Judo with Wing Chun?

I say Judo, since I am a Judoka. In my dojo, believe it or not, we train for the ground, and stand up equally. My sensei, Kevin Doherty, is a two time olympian, and he was also a world champion, so he is super strict, and he always lets us train hard on the ground because he said these days, a lot of Judokas get lost as soon as they go to the ground during a match. It all depends on wether u like stand up grappling, or ground grappling, but as a lot of BJJ guys will tell u Judo gives u bad habbits on the ground, and it has a lot of flaws, is not true, and lets say if it was, well BJJ gives u bad habbits with stand up grappling, and that is true. But just so u get it straight, most Judo schools focus more on stand up grappling, and most Bjj schools focus on the ground. And one more thing, I think Judo focuses more on ground grappling, then Bjj focuses on stand up grappling, right?

Correct me if im wrong :)

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on where you are. where I train bjj we do alot of stand up work. it's clinch work, takedown defense and takedowns though generally, not throws. I attend two judo clubs. At one, the instructor was a 3 time national champ - we do alot of groundwork there. at the other school, one of the instructors competes at a world level and is a master of sport in sambo. The second instructor competed and placed at the world level also. We do no groundwork at all there. However, we do it for a reason - everyone in that class also trains bjj. It allows us to work our standup only.

I'm sorry let me correct something My sensai, Kevin Doherty, is a two time olympian, and world bronze medalist. And Seven Star, my point was that a lot of Bjj practioners always say that Judo gives u bad habbits on the ground, and Judo has little ground work in it, which is DEFENITLY not true.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sorry let me correct something My sensai, Kevin Doherty, is a two time olympian, and world bronze medalist. And Seven Star, my point was that a lot of Bjj practioners always say that Judo gives u bad habbits on the ground, and Judo has little ground work in it, which is DEFENITLY not true.

Well, the rules of Judo are what give you bad habits for groundwork, but they're bad habits for Jiu Jitsu, not Judo. People who say Judo has little groundwork are usually comparing it to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/submission wrestling, which stands to reason beacuse BJJ is an extreme.

I would also say, from my experience, that Judo does groundwork much more often than BJJ does standup. Every Judo I've attended does about 30 minutes groundwork, whereas one out of every 10 classes in BJJ does standup. Theres a good reason for it though- our gym has both, and the BJJ instructor who teaches night classes simply says if you want to learn takedowns, thats why theres Judo.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a LOT of ground work in judo. it is not seen on the matches if you compare bjj matches and judo matches bjj maybe has more ground work. but Judoka knows atleast the same amount of ground techniques as Brazilian jujitsuka or even more.

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

but as a lot of BJJ guys will tell u Judo gives u bad habbits on the ground, and it has a lot of flaws, is not true, and lets say if it was, well BJJ gives u bad habbits with stand up grappling,

The rules of judo will give you bad habits not so much the techniques.

-Limited time allows you to turtle and wait for a standup insteasd of escaping.

-Lack of leg/ankle locks

-neck cranks

I also wouldent say BJJ standup teaches you bad habit but simply there isint enough of it in alot of school..but what is taught is usually good..just basic.

Judo has very little ground work usually only when compared to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. NOT TRUE!!!! I've been in jujutsu and seen brazilian jiu jitsui trainings and and for what i've seen Judo has a lot groundwork!!! i mean a LOT!!! Now when i was in the finnish national championship competitions (when i was junior) i had a yellow belt in judo and a yellow belt in jujutsu. I fought against a bigger guy then i was and he had a green belt and wit my judo skills i got three perfect throws (3points from each) and won him on the ground by doing simple locks and stuff like that and this guy with green belt didn't know anything on the ground!!!

The rules of judo will give you bad habits not so much the techniques.

-Limited time allows you to turtle and wait for a standup insteasd of escaping.

-Lack of leg/ankle locks

-neck cranks

I also wouldent say BJJ standup teaches you bad habit but simply there isint enough of it in alot of school..but what is taught is usually good..just basic.

if you don't try anything or try to escape you will get a warning which gives your opponent a point! and if you don't escape in the 25 seconds you have you have lost so i really think that you don't know what you are talking about!!!

Bjj . Wing Chun is difficult to master but once you master it well you will be able to strike or trap very well & from there you can finish it standing up for if you feel the opponent still packs a fight and think hes capable of landing you a mean punch to the head or something, then simply take him to the ground and end it there.Both of these arts in my opinion are quite similar and by taking both of these arts you will compliment wing chun and bjj quite well and apply BJJ tactics standing up, and also wing chun tactics like trapping striking on the ground with your BJJ . Judo just isnt ground enough since you already are currently in training in Ving Tsun so you shouldnt have to worry much about for stand up defense.

:idea:

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 80 pixels, the height no greater than 80 pixels, and the file size no more than 8 KB.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started Judo, and I did a little bit of both BJJ and Wing Chun. In my opinion to best compliment Wing Chun I would choose Judo. Here's why. I believe Wing Chun is effective, but once you get grasped you're in trouble. If you know Judo, you will be able to take him down hard and fast. Plus, there is surprisingly a lot of ground work in Judo (I am surprised!) so you will be able to finish him off there. Why I say Judo would complement Wing Chun better than BJJ is because of the takedowns. BJJ, although a very effective system, has very few takedowns compared to Judo. When rank7 says 'take him down and finish him off with BJJ' the problem I have is that in Wing Chun takedowns is not its forte, hence it's easier said then done. Perhaps BJJ would complement better a style which already comprises some sort of takedowns, but for a style which has none or very few (Wing Chun) I believe Judo would be the best choice.