• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ or Judo with Wing Chun?

I really like the sound of Judo but I'm concerned all I'll be learning is points scoring and very little ground work. I'm sure I'll hear a lot to do with 'that's the fault of the school' so any suggestions about schools that teach a strong ground work application would be great.

The other style I've thought about, almost the default choice, is BJJ. I really don't want to offend anyone by saying this but the thing I'm most worried about with BJJ is that a lot of the people learning it seem to be ego maniacs. If that's the outspoken minority, fine I can accept that - you see enough of them in Wing Chun. If it's something to do with the teachers or the way it's taught then I'm worried!

Lastly, is there anything else along the same sort of lines that I should also consider?

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judo has very little ground work usually only when compared to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Judo is very good for clinch work, and if you're doing alot of in-fighting with Wing Chun, you're bound to find yourself in a clinch- knowing a throw or two would benefit you.

Judo does give a real good grappling base, but there are a few flaws in the ground work. I'd start with Judo, and then make the transition to BJJ once you've got a good base. As far as BJJ guys being ego maniacs, well that simply depends on who you're talking to-I know the thing that I (along with many other BJJ praticioners) appreciate is that moves are proven to us- often you'll have your instructor say "you know what Im doing and what I want- stop me." I have yet to see any other style that does that.

Judo will help you with your clinch and it will prepare you for the ground. Judo groundwork works best when applied right off of a throw/takedown. There are various positions to learn once you are on the ground that from a Self defense stand point are more suited to streetfighting then bjj's. The moves are not as highly advanced as Bjj as far as positions and transitions but you will be no pushover on the ground either.

Master the basic positions and submissions and you will be the match of just about anyone. Don't worry about super advanced guard positions and fancy submissions. I tell my students to master 3 chokes, 3 submissons, and 3 throws from any position. The rest of your time should be spent on counters and escapes. Judo is a very deep martial art and if you don't spend all of your time training for olympics and tournaments you will reach a level on the ground far beyond most of the people that train for them.

I'm only going to ask you once...

Oh and about Bjj egomaniacs. You must understand the difference between DO and Jutsu. Do is a way of life. A philosophical approach as well as a technical. The mentality is that if you focus soley on technique and winning then no matter how good you are, no matter how many fights you win, you are not complete. You can win fight after fight against people from any style to prove yours is the best, but your style will still be considered inferior because it's pursuit is vain and empty. On the other hand your fighting can be less effective then someone elses but if you have a philosophical and spiritual base to your art then your style would be considered superior.

Jutsu on the other hand is about winning. It's about pure technique and what works to get the job done. It doesn't care about aesthetic appeal, it doesn't care about philosophy, it cares about results. So you have Judo and Jujutsu. The Bjj people have chosen to follow the path of jutsu. Thus you will get some of the excess of that approach such as egotism and bravado.

The Gracies did this when they wanted to put BJJ on the map. They have since toned down the rethoric but it lives on in some of the practitioners of BJJ. I have met with Renzo gracie and With Royler, both of whom are great guys and two of my favorite fighters because they make NO excuses for losing and don't demand special rules for their matches regardless of who they are fighting. Rickson and Royce on the other hand...

I'm only going to ask you once...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to say BJJ, because your already training a stand up art that covers in fighting techniques, BJJ will take you from there and give you the rest to make you more well rounded. Either way rather you go Judo or BJJ I think you will only benifit yourself. The choice is going to have to be the one that you most enjoy.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

JJJ?

Japanese Jui-Jitsu, as in traditional?

Sure I have nothing against looking into that as well. I think there is a traditional Jui-Jitsu school in the (small) town where I live so I'll check it out.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly