• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sour Taste?

elliotspirrett

Knowing that this practise is wide spread, a friend of mind in MA and myself was bored one Saturday. So we went to Every MA shool in the area to see how they "sold" their art to us. We were doing this for purely entertainment value. Considering that he was from out of town, and I was JKA and didn't associate with the other clubs in the area, they didn't know who we were (although, if I had I said my name, they would have known - I let my friend do all the introductions)... We were very respectful just the same.

So we asked all of the typical question that most beginners ask like "what is Karate, where was Karate started from," etc. Then we would ask surprise questions that they wouldn't expect like "what is the noise everyone makes, why do you make that noise, how do you develop power, what do you feel is the most important aspect of Karate, etc... And depending on the art or style we visited, you would replace the word Karate with their art. It was very entertaining to see their responses to these questions. About 70% of the schools would start to fumble for words at this point, or start getting offended, or try to avoid the questions all together. The rest of the 30% were right there answering our questions and keeping their calm with us.

It's was probably a low thing for us to do, but I have to tell you, it was actually a lot of fun to do. So if you have a slow, boring day, go have some fun, get out there and see who's in your neighborhood.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HAHAHAHAHA! Like it. Bet it thre a lot of them off their guard! Hehehehehe! Have to say it would be fun, and worth a try, but I'd probably get answers like; "You don't need to worry about that yet" or "Shut it Smart A*se" Hehehe!

Still...Worth a try

Practice more if you wanna pass that grading!

Brown (2th kyu) Trodai Karate, training for Black. Ready to become a Capoeirista once more.

Whenever I mention other styles or dojos to my sensei, his reaction is always the same:

"Oh really? - how do they fight"

I guess you can see what's important to us :)

Osu!

ET

Style bashing happens all the time. Just don't participate in it.

I switched dojos a few months ago and they don't hold my old instructor in high regard. I know they badmouth him when I'm not around, but I just accept it. My previous instructor has done many things that are taboo in the world of karate. I know many of the things they say about him are true. Nevertheless, I simply don't participate in the bashing. In fact when It's brought up I simply say that he's doing what he thinks is best for himself and his students.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Like everyone keeps saying here you see this all of the time, I had a guy come into my school who was probably one of the most closed minded martial artist I have ever met, he was an aikido practitioner (I have nothing against aikido) but this guy basically told me that because I dont charge for belt ranks that our program cant be good. I guess his school was charging around $1,000 for their rank exams and when he found out that I dont have a fee except the $5.00 for the belt he pretty much made up his mind about our school right then and there but he did stay and keep talking martial arts with me for about 30 minutes. I had a buddy of mine with me at the time and after this guy left we just kind of looked at eachother and laughed, we then started some training for the day and probably about 4 time during training we both brought up the quesition of how someone can be that closed minded, I would fill you in on the rest of his version of a true martial art but it would take up to much space here.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!