• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching starts from the ground.

AngelaG

This is a bit esoteric but hopefully some of you will try and get what I am driving at.

When people punch they often think of their arms being the weapon. The arm is the striking object and therefore that is what is doing the work. However I am of the belief that a punch should start from the ground up. In fact I sometimes try to think about my punch working its way up from the very core of the earth – the actual planet is adding weight to your strike. I know this is not true but this is a mental exercise to try and get the feeling for what I want to achieve.

Your legs are stronger than your arms so why not let them do most of the work. Use your body like a whip. What do I mean by that? Well if you have a whip it’s the tip of the whip that strikes, but the actual power is put in way down the other end. In the same way with a punch you should start driving in off your feet and through your thighs and then use your hips to whip out the final sting. Sure add power from your arms as well but the thought should be that if your arm was already fully outstretched and you did the technique that you would still generate loads of power.

Try punching a punch bag using just your arms, stand against a wall or something so that you cannot engage your hips. Then try again using your hips and legs to drive through – feel the difference.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, ...and no. The fist is the weapon, your whole body is the delivery system, and the ground is your anchor. Many systems look at power as comeing from the ground up. But motion starts at the tantien (for some the waist, but realy it is in the small muscles of the back). And a proper punch hits with the whole body.

First, let's look at the ground. Without a good base, your strike is less effective. Try pushing a car on ice as opposed to dry pavement, and you can get an idea of how important a good base is to power aplication. Maximum power transfer is dependant on a solid foundation, or base.

Next, it depends on structure. To push a car, you have to lean into it, getting all your body and muscle mass structually behind it. To deliver an effective punch, you should do the same thing. Your entire structure should line up to support the strike. (For the literal minded, I'm not telling you to lean).

Coordinated movement is the next consideration. If that structure and base are not established at the right place and moment in time, it does no good. One of the key elements in this is movement from your center, or tantien. Whether a straight, linear punch, or the whiping power generation you talk about, initiating movement from your center connects the upper and lower body in a coordinated, simultaneouse pattern of movement that gives maximum effectiveness and speed, and maximum power. It all has to work together to be effective.

So, yes, your punch comes from the ground up in a sense. But it starts at your center.

Freedom isn't free!

That is why it is so important to understand body mechanics/body alignment. I think this is done so much more by "feel" rather than by visual effect. Many times the student has a more difficult time understanding the "feeling" of a punch or kick. Just my 2 cents :brow:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Yes, ...and no. The fist is the weapon, your whole body is the delivery system, and the ground is your anchor. Many systems look at power as comeing from the ground up. But motion starts at the tantien (for some the waist, but realy it is in the small muscles of the back). And a proper punch hits with the whole body.

First, let's look at the ground. Without a good base, your strike is less effective. Try pushing a car on ice as opposed to dry pavement, and you can get an idea of how important a good base is to power aplication. Maximum power transfer is dependant on a solid foundation, or base.

Next, it depends on structure. To push a car, you have to lean into it, getting all your body and muscle mass structually behind it. To deliver an effective punch, you should do the same thing. Your entire structure should line up to support the strike. (For the literal minded, I'm not telling you to lean).

Coordinated movement is the next consideration. If that structure and base are not established at the right place and moment in time, it does no good. One of the key elements in this is movement from your center, or tantien. Whether a straight, linear punch, or the whiping power generation you talk about, initiating movement from your center connects the upper and lower body in a coordinated, simultaneouse pattern of movement that gives maximum effectiveness and speed, and maximum power. It all has to work together to be effective.

So, yes, your punch comes from the ground up in a sense. But it starts at your center.

bingo. A good example is the hook punch. I think angela is only taking straight punches into consideration.

Your legs are stronger than your arms so why not let them do most of the work.

your legs or your hips? your legs aren't really doing most of the work, unless you are throwing an uppercut.

Your legs are stronger than your arms so why not let them do most of the work.

your legs or your hips? your legs aren't really doing most of the work, unless you are throwing an uppercut.

Sorry I forgot to say (D'OH!) I am mainly talking about a stepping straight punch here.

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I was going to comment but Delta1 answered it so well...

All body movement comes from the center of the body (lower diaphragm) that initiates muscle contraction/expansion. The entire body moves as one in unison. The entire body is far more powerful, and far more effortless, than any one movement or group of body movements.

Oh, well. I guess I ended up commenting anyhow...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

In our style (and kyokushin) we are taught that all punching power comes from the legs and all kicking power comes from the upper body.

So it doesn't matter what punch you throw.

If it doesn't start in your ankles and come up through your knees and your hips you will not have enough power.

Gyakuzuki espescially :)

Osu!

ET

EvilTed, I believe I read in Mas Oyama's book "The Kyokushin Way", that all the power comes from deep within your stomach a lot like what KillerMiller described. Interesting post though, AngelaG (once again) :P

Sometimes it is a case of how you visualise it to get the effect you want, rather than what is physically actually happening..

If I feel that my punch is coming from the centre of the earth (any punch) I can almost imagine that I have the weight of the entire planet behind my punch.