• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Let your kata guide your way!

AngelaG

personal opinion only, but I think everyone should know what a strike to each pressure point feels like? I know at my club most of us are exposed to several dfferent presure poitns to help us understand the more practical application of such strikes? does this happen in other clubs?

"No matter how you may excel in the art of

Karate, and in your scholastic endeavors, nothing is more important than your behavior and your humanity as observed in daily life."

~ Master Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neko, It depends on the points you want to strike of course.

This was a really good post. All of the pp's have been researched thoroughly enough to be able to accurately predict the bodies reaction to different strikes and intensities on the points. I find the original Okinawan karate katas reflect this information more truly than most modern styles. I'm sure there are Chinese forms that reflect this information equally well but I can't speak of them with any sort of authority. TCM and 5 element theory added a whole new dimension to my training about 5 years ago. Funny enough, I've come full circle again and realized that it's no more or less important than any other aspect of my training.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Pressure points are the icing on the cake of a good technique. You can still hurt without them and if you never study them it does not mean that you cannot be an effective fighter, but if you do get them then suddenly it all becomes a lot more effective and simpler. They also level the playing field.

However you also need to train in everything else or you will never get in a position where you can target a pressure point as you will be too busy scraping yourself off the floor!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum