• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

getting my first gi, heavy or light?

DaChroniclez

I prefer the heavyweight. I started with a light which has no snap or anything, then I moved on to a Busho heavy which wore down and then the best gi I've owned (custom made by my sensei for 4 years of perfect attendence) which is a Toyo heavy. It looks a little bit blueish but they're nice gi. They snap nicely but are pretty expensive.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer the middle weight doboks (gi's) the most. I have two 100% cotton canvas doboks that I absolutely hate, they are hard to wash, extremely hard to iron, and are hotter than anything (Especially in Phoenix in the summer!!!)

Middleweights wash and wear well, and you can iron them with a little starch and really make them pop at tournaments!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 2 weeks later...

I've been very satisfied with the Satori gi. My first was 15 oz. The second was 18 oz. My first has had three years of hard work and only now is starting to show some wear. I am about to order my thrid and I think I will go with the 18 again.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the heavyweight ones myself. They definately feel a lot hotter when you train, but you get used to it preety fast. The lightweight ones just don't last as long, plus the heavyweight ones make that nice *snap* sound when performing techniques. :)

Lol..especially when you are doing your katas

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 1 month later...

id go for the heavy weight if you have the money to spend but if you dont go for the light weight one

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/