• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

About a year ago, I was watching a very interesting TV series about the history of Hong Kong cinema. Of course they had a slot for the 'kung fu' movies. Of note, was that the directors and actors explained how they made up many kung fu/wushu names for their scenes on the spot as there was no existing style to match the actions they were trying to achieve. Thus, there are a lot of fancy kung fu names that were purely improvised for the movies. I had thought that eagle's claw was one of them, but perhaps not.

made up? not really.

http://www.eagleclaw.gr/en/text.htm

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle claw comes from a Chinese General whose name currently escapes me. Google it, if you care.

Anyway, it is one of a myriad of animal impersonating styles. It utilizes a variety of sudden, linear strikes combined with acrobatics and very hard to read circular attacks. One thing that sets Eagle Claw apart is that it tends to strike/hit, meaning after striking a point on the body, it will grab, rip, tear, or whatever it can to that part of the body. There is a lot of emphasis placed on controlling your opponent's body through joint locks and pressure points.

As for those who say it is lost, I cannot say. I just hope that I'm not learning from crackpots. :-?

I like it, though - it's a good supplement to my Kenpo and Ju jitsu.

Any other questions I could possibly answer?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• 1 year later...

Quite an interesting article Kajukenbopr, I was under the impression that the "original" form of Eagle Claw created by General Yueh(?) Fei was lost at some point, the blanks were later filled with other arts... But don't hold me to that as my memory is sketchy concerning this...

edit: Yay! Yellow belt! :karate:

The first person to call me mate gets a punch in the throat...

• 2 years later...

I have personally studied a little bit of it with my friend from China, and I don't think the kicks are that powerful, besides looking spectacular, but the eagle claws themselves are extremely scary because you can literally tear one's skin off with one.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.