• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to get sensei to teach me my new stuff?

GojuRyu Shawn

So, I recently became a yellow belt, and i've been doing the same old boring white belt stuff for about a month. I've asked my sensei if he's going to teach me that week, but he always says "maybe" and it never happens. :kaioken: How can I be firm, but not pestering, saying "I want to learn new things oriented with my belt level. He has taught all other belts (except the new browns) their new katas, blocks, and such, except this new green belt, cause he hasn't shown up for a while.

Any tips, or things I should say?

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

patience young grasshopper. do not be in a rush and remember that your sensei will show you when you are ready. just so you know you will always practice basics no matter what grade you are.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Just what manuelito said. Karate is like a rollercoaster ride. A lot of ups and downs, as soon as you reach that down you'll learn something new and be on that up swing again. Be patient, it will come. And as was said above, be ready to practice basics every class. At least you should be! :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I think it's silly that you want to learn "yellow belt stuff" and think that the "same old boring white belt stuff " is completely irrelevant and old hat now. The white belt stuff is the same as the yellow belt stuff except there's more for the yellow belt stuff.

You shouldn't have a noticeable change the day after testing for a new rank. You shouldn't have the attitude of 'well, i'm glad i'm past that belt, it was boring. now it's all new stuff'.

I've never been to a large dojo, all of the classes that i've attended (and i've attended a lot!) have been small enough that everyone participates in every class. It sounds to me like what you're describing is the Instructor only teaches one belt rank at a time. Sounds like time management problems, but maybe i just read it wrong and come from way to small of an area - Southern Oklahoma.

point is, things don't change that dramatically. just attend everyclass, you're learning everyday whether you realize it or not.

Have you considered that maybe youre not being taught "new stuff" because youre ASKING to be taught "new stuff" ?

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Attitude! Every time you walk into the dojo, practice as if it were the last practice you'll ever do. What I mean is, savor it, put your heart and soul into it.

Does your gi snap with every kick and punch? Do you stand up straight. Do you listen attentivly to what the teacher is saying?

Make him take notice with a great attitude and great technique.

If you are just 'going through the motions' slouching, looking out the window when the teacher is talking... well, hell will freeze over before he decides to show you new stuff.

I teach kids and I have some that complain just as you do but they are the ones that have poor attitude. Other kids that try hard to perfect what they've learned are the first to learn the 'new stuff' every time.

You have to keep up with the old stuff. The other day only four of us turned up to the adult lesson. There were 3 brown belts and a 2nd dan. Despite this the instructor decided that we could do red belt basics - as soon as the longer combinations were cut down everyone was struggling. People get into rhythms and think about that (like a dance) rather than thinking about every technique individually.

I'm sure you instructor knows what he is doing, have faith in him. Maybe he is teaching new stuff to people who have gradings sooner than you. Or maybe you are learning new stuff but just not realising it? Or maybe, as someone has already said, your attitude is letting you down. Or maybe when you graded he thought you only just scraped through, so he wants you more proficient at the white belt stuff before you move on to anything else?

Could be lots of reasons! The one thing you will learn though is that any MA is made up of constant repetitions, that's the only way to train the body to do it right, and to do it instinctively.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Your basics are the foundations of everything you'll learn, savour this chance to go over them again.

I've been attending both the beginners and intermediate Wing Chun classes for as long as I've been able (as soon as I moved up) and have been doing 3 hour back to back lessons for months.

An hour and a half of this is the basic stuff, and it really makes a difference to my proficiency in the intermediate class.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

If I had a $1 for everytime I practice those old, boring basics over the past 30 years...I'd be a rich man!

As others have said...be patient. I don't tend to like having students bug me about teaching them something new, simply because I know they aren't ready to learn anything new. They need to practice what they already know and get it better before they progress.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"