• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sais

an

I want to buy some sais and start practicing with them. I want to get a pair and also a video or book or something to start off some training before I go out and spend a lot of money on lessons. I have no experience with them, however, and I do not know what size to get. I have seen anywhere from 13" - 22". How do I secode what size is the best for me? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Tony

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You remind me a lot of me 6 years ago. You won't be able to actually know the sai though the videos although you can at least learn some terms, grips, parts etc. It will be a start.

To Buy a pair of sais the way to tell is to measure half an inch past your elbow joint up the end of your index finger. Or at least thats what my friends and i do.It works for us.

Are you thinking of octagonal or round. It's really personal prefence, i like the round but as time goes on octagonal is getting more popular. Octagonal has more flash when you twirl them. (shrugs shoulder)

Goodluck, Any more questions speak now or forever shut up

When I Am Done Sheding My Tears

I Will Start To Shed The Blood Of My Enemies

And Punish All Who Did Me Wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

You know I understand the money crunch thing, really. The first karate classes I took, I paid with by drawing artwork for the instructor. Check the community section of the news paper and see if there are any small groups of people who practice karate in your area. Often in any given city there are several small nomadic groups that don't have a specific dojo but work out in school gyms, people's back yards, garages, or whatever is available. Put the word out any way you can and eventually you'll find someone who can teach you. Keep an open mind, if you can't find a sai instructor who will work with you find something. There's a lot of cool things that can be done with short sticks, knife fighting, Chinese weapons, and the like.

I'll tell you what, since I've started doing some instruction I've learned one thing. Committed students, ones who will move mountains to get to class and really enjoy learning weapons are worth their weight in gold. If you can show that you are one of these people you will find an instructor.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Fumio Demura Sensei has a book on the Sai. Although you can use it as reference material, it will be very difficult to learn from it. As for finding an instructor to learn the sai, look for some one who teaches Okinawan Kobudo, or any instructor that has had training in such art :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 weeks later...

How much is a good pair of sais? I can't find any for over 40 bucks...I'm willing to pay more if I can find something of better quality.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

A pair of shureido sais will cost you around 140 dollars US. that's if you buy them in the United States, if you buy them from japan and ship them to wherever you are, the price goes up much more.

I have a pair of shureido sai, and I have to say they are the nicest ones I have ever owned, they are well made, and balanced much better than the century ones I have had in the past.

As for learning Sai, your best bet would to be getting instruction from someone who is certified to train others in the use of the weapon.

Not a problem with the instruction...my sensei will be covering that eventually, and I'll find what information I can.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

I've been training with sais for quite a while now, being interested in them since I was a little kid. I'm now using a pair of black octagonal century sais (due to lack of money) and they're OK, but just that, "ok". I would suggest buying a good pair of sais such as shureido and be happy over the long term.

As of now my century sais are complete crap. The prongs are boed on either side, and they don't resond well to flipping as well as I'd like them to, causing a few drops of them here and there (not very good if you're in competition). As for the instruction, many dojos, kobudo or not, teach weaponry. Personally my dojo teaches sais, but many dojos that don't, someone or another will know the use of the weapon, and can teach you. Or if you spread the word enough, someone who knows someone who knows someone may be able to teach you...just get the word out and start searching.

As for tapes/books, first off I wouldn't do books because it isn't live and you can't learn welll from those, there may not be good angling etc.. in the pictures, so if you do decide to train by books/videos, pick videos because it will show you life-like movements, and you will be able to learn some basic movements, grips, stances, etc..with sais..and maybe incoporate them into one of your own katas..but I would really suggest finding a live instructor. Anyways..Good luck in training :)