• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whether to Take a Test

I disagree here. I realize that you are making the assumption that Solar Kid has been allowed to "get away" with substandard performance but I do not think his sensei would act any differently otherwise when preparing a student for a test. Students can't be spoonfed. There has to be an expectation that they must practice and discover some things on their own. A pregrading evaluation is to identify a students weak areas and show him how to improve, not to hurry up and fix shoddy performance so the instructor looks good. I do agree, if is this is in fact the case, that it smells of French fries and he should re-evaluate the program.

Yes, I agree with ninjanurse. Our instructor has been candid about wanting us to develop our ability to discover our own flaws, and correct them ourselves. He does give us feedback, but often in the form of questions. So, in my particular case, one of my unfortunate habits is not turning my back foot enough when I step forward in back stance. I hadn't noticed this until Sensei pointed it out. Sensei will ask after I perform this movement, "How was your stance?" but he won't necessarily tell me exactly what the problem is. I kept thinking it was in the height of the stance, or that my weight was on the wrong foot.

He will give us some lattitude to discover these things, but it does seem that in signing up to take the test, his feedback became a little more specific.

I do training as a part of my job too (not in martial arts, of course!), and I have to say that I admire this approach. I wish I could spend enough time with my students to make this sort of approach realistic.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm glad that is not the case. I just wanted to play devil's advocate. I have seen that a lot though, and it is a shame when it happens. Good luck with the test. Let us know how it turns out! :)

Honor all things.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the replies!

In a disappointing denouement, I was actually sick when the test came around in December, so I ended up missing it anyway. That gave me a while longer to train. I ended up taking the test today, and I passed. (Yea!)

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

"Just go about your training as you normally would....there is no "magical" change that happens when you put on a new belt......if youve seen the test before, and you think you can perform whats required at that skill level.....go for it......if you pass.....then you know you were "ready......if you fail.......you know you werent.......either way......afterwards.....train even harder."

I agree with Jules if you're ready you're ready, if you're not you're not.

I have gone in for testing and failed. At first I was embarrassed, then mad, but to be honest my training has been better because of it. The next time around I was ready. Sometimes failing is the perfect feedback, you know what you need to do and you can do it. You have no place but up to go.

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....