• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Generating more power

I tend to agree with all of you, but my question is...are you only trying to generate more physical power? Being a female in MA I have a Physical disadvantage compared to men... however if you want to talk about projecting energy into a target it takes practice of your concepts. Hip Rotation, breath(kiai), relaxation, synchronization,etc. power will develop on its own with practice which will equal technique maturity and non thought or the technique will become second nature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power generation coming from the hips is correct......for beginners.....what are you gonna do when you are fighting multiple opponents, and one of them has grabbed you around the waist, making a hip turn impossible ?,,,,,,You must learn to call the power to your hands, and doing this takes time.....like anything else.....the end result (my students have told me) is the feeling that you are getting hit by a bowling ball.....its the development of "heavy hands"

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

The strike you should come from the legs and the hips, not just the arms. Sure generate more arm power too, but your entire body should be behind the strike.

And then you need to practice minimising the movement, so that even if someone has got hold of you you can still do it. It *almost* becomes internal.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

well..

Hip rotation always alows for as much power as possible.. I have always found that worked really well and using all of your body weight by twisting your back foot a helps as well. but on the other hand it takes a little bit of proper form and practice to get those at the same time and have it work to it's full potential. Give that a try!

Lyds :karate:

My name is Lydia and I am a Sr. Black belt in Shotokan Karate. I have also done many other types of martial arts. I enjoy trying new things. I like just grabbing a book and learning from it.

try using wrapable weights on yourt arms and legs. they're only five pounds each. after you get good and fast with those move up to 10 pound hexhead dumbells. don't ever go over 15 or 20 lbs. and increase your practice wieghts very slowly or you'll cause serious damage to yourself.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!

I understand your question completely, however I wasn't talking about just being able to generate power from hip rotation. In our system we teach what my sensei has called "concepts". That is when you practice a physical techniques he has you focus on the mechanics first, then once you have those down, you begin to focus on relaxation, rotation(hips or punches), breath,synchronization, etc so you can project energy projection into a target from any technique that you do. Luckily I was intrigued by energy projection and practiced and still practice very seriously.

Body Management, Slowing down techniques, focusing energy, using your strike like a towel snap,

These are just ideas.

but the sledgehammer would work best.

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

Hi,

Here are a few bits we use to increase striking power.

1. Imagine the striking weapon is increadibly heavy and dense and just "drop" it onto the target.

2. Make it much more of a whipping action (ie like throwing a ball) than a locked movement.

3. send all your body movement in a single direction (not a large movement, just make sure you are all heading the correct way).

4. breathe out just before impact.

5. Use visualisation.

I've got a more detailed version of how to do this for a hammerfist at http://www.iomcombat.co.uk/hammerfist.htm

Hope that helps

Dan

PS if you are rotating the hips (ie hikatae style punching movement you are losing a LOT of power).

PPS Hi Angela, just noticed you up there.