• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Generating more power

Hello. Im just wondering, obviously i know it takes years of practice to perfect the amount of power (hitting power) yoou may possess. but im wondering, without any training involved what tips would you give a person that they could use right now to generate more power? im talking stances hip rotation etc.

Also what kind of excersises would you suggest for the long term on being able to generate more power? ive heard of walking up the stairs to strengthen your kua. also the "Fu hu Gong" or lying tiger skill" described in this link: http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000198.html

any excersises anyone has to offer like this, internal excersises?

Thanks for the help

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also im wondering how you can properly break bricks? i break boards but wanna know how to break bricks without damaging my hands

Like anything else.....there is no "fast track" to skill......it takes time and, well.....time takes .....time......

As far as not hurting your hands......you must begin to condition them with makiwari training, or iron palm training......and again......it takes time.......its just something that cant be rushed......

I know thats not the answer you wanna hear, because you wanna do it NOW........but thats just how it is.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I always tell my students to focus on speed and technique. If you have those then power is very easy to attain.

My only advise about breaking bricks is to make sure you break it the first time! :)

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

thats the problem, Im only thinking of long term conditioning. But maybe Im overlooking some very minor basics that should be paid more attention too, meanwhile still working on the conditioning ive been doing.

Being loose and relaxed when you throw a kick or punch is the best way to increase speed..and thus power, in a technique. The arm or let should only tighten just a moment before impact.

As for breaking bricks...try a sledge hammer. It's much easier that way. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

My brother-in-law has a Bobcat with a jackhammer attachment for the front arm. That thing can rip up a whole length of sidewalk in about 15 minutes.

It takes me about 20 with my bare hands. :D

Seriously, though, relax and the speed will come. And when you figure it out, let me know how you did it because I still haven't figured it out.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

With regards to punching, kicking, and... well, everything, really, I've been taught over and over again (and I agree) that the power should originate from the hips.

Keep practicing those rotations! It'll make all the difference!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."