• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ULTIMATE Style vs style competition

If you could choose any fighters from any era to represent their respective styles in a no-holds-barred style fighting competition, who would you choose?

A few of my choices would be:

Mas Oyama (kyukoshin karate)

Joseph Charlemont (savate)

John L. Sullivan (bareknuckle pugilism)

Mohammed Ali or Joe Louis (modern boxing)

Bill Wallace or Joe Lewis (American 'full contact karate')

Alexander Medved (Olympic freestyle wrestling)

Anton Geesink (judo)

Royce Gracie (Brazilian jujitsu)

Bruce Lee (jun fan/jeet kune do)

Any extra information you can provide about your fighter(s) would also be welcome.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think Tyson would be a better bet than Ali, not to say that hes a better boxer, but he obviously hit harder (so, I guess Foreman would be good too).

I'd also pick Rickson over Royce, and Alexander Karelin over Alexander Medved.

Oh yeah, and why the hell not just pick Kimura for the Judo guys? He was great, not only on the feet, but on the ground as well.

I would also protest having Bruce Lee in there to represent JKD, since JKD isnt a style. Bruce even said himself theres no such thing as a "JKD kick" or a "JKD move" for that matter, its all about what works for YOU and what doesnt (hence I would consider all MMA fighters to be JKD fighters since the same mindset is applied).

Beyond any arguments with that, Bruce crosstrained alot to be considered a student of a specific style in any respect.

I think Tyson would be a better bet than Ali, not to say that hes a better boxer, but he obviously hit harder (so, I guess Foreman would be good too).

Ali fought guys bigger than him and still won. Skils go beyond brute strenght.

I would also protest having Bruce Lee in there to represent JKD, since JKD isnt a style. Bruce even said himself theres no such thing as a "JKD kick" or a "JKD move" for that matter, its all about what works for YOU and what doesnt (hence I would consider all MMA fighters to be JKD fighters since the same mindset is applied).

Jeet Kune Do goes way beyond simply using what works for you. Whatever style you train in, bottom line you always use what works for you from what you have learned.

[quote="MenteReligieuse

Ali fought guys bigger than him and still won. Skils go beyond brute strenght.

Granted, but boxers (along with most strikers in general) kinda get screwed once the fight enters into the clinch phase, since its not going to be broken up. Tyson and Foreman would stand a better chance (in my opinion) of knocking someone out (or seriously dazing them) with one of their punches than Ali would. You dont have time to dance around and throw jabs, not to say thats all Ali could do. But in the slugging department, Tyson and Foreman are better than Ali, and thats much more effective for a MMA fight.

My mistake. I should have clarified. By jeet kune do I mean the core curriculum as was taught in many JKD schools after Bruce Lee's death, as outlined in his numerous writings. I do not mean the MMA-type philosophy of mixing and matching styles to produce an effective all-ranges personalized martial art.

If you want to talk about pure punching power with boxers, you're forgetting Rocky Marciano. What about TKD's Grand Master Tae Zee Park? Pressure Point guru Master George A. Dillman from Ryukyu Kempo.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

If you want to talk about pure punching power with boxers, you're forgetting Rocky Marciano.

"How come EVERY time you talk about boxing, some white guy gotta bring up Rocky Marciano?" :wink:

For anyone thats seen Coming to America....

What about TKD's Grand Master Tae Zee Park? Pressure Point guru Master George A. Dillman from Ryukyu Kempo.

I dont know who Tae Zee Park is, but the George Dillman I know is full of * and then some more. Please tell me you dont train under him-the only thing worse is his "Death Touch" student/fraud Tom Cameron

Edited by Gumbi

Pressure Point guru Master George A. Dillman from Ryukyu Kempo.

If you want real RYUKYU KEMPO involved then it would be Taikia Oyata

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"