• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Take-down

ShotokanKid

What would be a good technique following a take down if you're the person on their feet. It's harder to punch then and to kick or stomp them..... that might be a penalty. If I do kick, what should I use?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Penalties? Do you have a site with the rules of the particular competition you are interested in?

Otherwise depending on how you took them down there are many possiblities. Can you describe a take down and the most likely position you are in?

You may want to explore taking someone down and not letting go while you do it. It helps you to maintain control and contact with your opponent on your terms, and hitting him after he is on the ground is much less disadvantageous for you. I'm not sure if that is kosher or not, so you'll have to check the rules, as the other people advise.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I've never seen a tournament other than Pride - professional level mma fighting - that will allow you to kick a downed opponent. you just back up and the referee will allow them to get up.

Shorin ryuu had a good piece of advice - keep control of them. For example, if you shoulder throw the guy, keep hold of his arm after you throw him. This will put you in better position to lock the arm if allowed/necessary. Chances are, the locking afterward will be illegal in your tourney, but it's still a good practice to have.

What would be a good technique following a take down if you're the person on their feet. It's harder to punch then and to kick or stomp them..... that might be a penalty. If I do kick, what should I use?

Usually like some have suggested, keep a hold of their arm to control them, plus the quickest follow-up would be a punch. Target area depends on the rules of the tourney, or availability. If you could also consider dropping a knee, but that may not ne allowed in a tourney. As for kicks, stomps in my opinion is the most effective.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia