• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring etiquette

oh, we do that too... i just figured it should be made clear that there is a distinct difference between sparring and a fight... if you're in a fight, it's assumed that your aim is to hurt the other person, in which case it become quite counter productive and tiresome to turn away and kneel to wait for the other person to gather him/herself.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

but i don't have the instinctive reflex to turn and kneel every time i hurt someone. i don't train to do that. i do it out of respect. just as i wouldn't bow when i'm encountered.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I've never even been in a tourney [yet :) ], but I would bet there is also a psychological aspect to the practice. If you hurt an opponent [say they fall to the ground], and you rush over to help them, they may not see it that way. Pain and injury does funny things to your brain; there's a good chance they will take it as an aggressive move by you, and strike out in a devastating way.

By having you turn and go to your knees, you are assuring them that you are not going to come over and finish the job. So it is probably as much for your protection as it is theirs.

Obviously you wouldn't want to do this in a real fight. :)

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:37 am Post subject: Purposes Served...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

There are multiple purposes served and statements made by this posturing...

1. I am making myself vulnerable (as your injury has made you)

2. I am showing everyone present that I am remorseful for the occurance

3. I pose you no threat and am in the least aggressive posture possible

4.By turning away from your injury i acknowledge my mistake and do not insult you by offering my help.

5. I am showing respect by lowering my head to a height lower than standing, and kneeling away as a sign of trust.

Two more points that occur in some books of tae kwon do....