• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring etiquette

Kind of a silly question.

During a sparring competion I saw a competetior get a low kick to the groin. When he went down in pain his opponent faced away from him and knelt down. Why? and what is the history of this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know. I have heard of this type of behavior before and assume its the martial arts version of going to a neutral corner. However, I dislike the whole idea of facing away and kneeling to opponent during a fight.

Long Live the Fighters!

I don't know the history of it but it is the effect of having someone go to a neutral corner. It's to put the person into a non-threatening postion until the judge restarts the fight.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

We do that at my school and I've never really thought about why... You see it in other sports, like in soccer, if someone from the team that you're playing is injured, your whole team would take a knee until the person was off the field. I guess it could be intrepreted as showing respect and privacy to your opponent as he/she recovers. I dunno...

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

In our dojang, when we're free sparring, if you make hard contact, you stop, bow, make sure they are alright, then continue (if they can). It's to show mutual respect in our dojang. In my dojang we're encouraged to make controlled contact. It's the only way you build up true power and distance control... at least that's what I'm told... I'm still working on it.

hehe.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

Dear All,

There are multiple purposes served and statements made by this posturing...

1. I am making myself vulnerable (as your injury has made you)

2. I am showing everyone present that I am remorseful for the occurance

3. I pose you no threat and am in the least aggressive posture possible

TAEKWON!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

Keep working on it Jinxx. What you've said is truth. The same type of rules apply in my dojang, and the custom is definitely one of respect.

This is sparring for sport remember, and courtesy and self control were still tennets last time I checked. If it were a fight on the street in self defense, obviously facing away and kneeling to your opponent wouldn't happen.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

ditto to the above replies

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

"However, I dislike the whole idea of facing away and kneeling to opponent during a fight."

um... maybe it's just my school, but we've never been encouraged to do that in a fight :wink:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai