• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I really hate having to name a favorite technique, but for the sake of the topic...

On the mat I prefer throws that are easy to turn into submissions so I like Sumi Gaeshi into Ude garami. Tawara gaeshi, tomoe nage (the over the side variation as opposed to up and over) and all variations of kata guruma.

On the street I will take what an opponent gives me. I know that the majority of street opponents are in fact untrained in breakfalling or in counters but I still prefer throws that don't give up my back, or risk landing on my back unless absolutely necessary because as the saying goes assumption is the mother of all screw-up's. I have used Kouchi gari and ouchi gari mostly because of the ease to pull off when clinched. If I have to give up my back it will be o goshi and tai otoshi. Only once under the most extreme circumstance I have had to use a sacrifice throw (uki waza) against a guy who was 6'4" 270 lbs while working security for a semi-famous actor/comedian and that was not very plesant for me (or him for that matter).

I'm only going to ask you once...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I forgot to mention that I have done kata guruma on the streets but it was the "lumberjack" variation

I'm only going to ask you once...

i like an o soto gari dummy followed by a harai goshi, i fould people will counter the o soto gari by leaning straight into the harai goshi, give it a go i like it!

sticks and stones may break my bones, but i am trained to kill you.

• 3 weeks later...

Yama Arashi and Hane Goshi, because of the circular stepping motion implicated in the throw enables the exploitation of a reaching opponent, as well as an opponent who already has a grip on your Gi. I also like Morote Seoi Nage for opponents who are taller and approaching aggressively.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the O Soto Geri, as I see many of us do! It is awesome and easy to execute!

you think it's easy to execute? in competition? I've found that in competition, it's rather hard to pull off - almost impossible - unless you do it in an unorthodox manner, such as angling across them and attacking the opposite leg, as opposed to the normal straight forward variation.

i agree totally

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

My favorite throw is a plain and simple hip throw..i find it easier to control how hard u want to propel the person into the ground also u have more control over your opponent

I'll Save Myself

Yoko-wakare,utsuri gosi, and i forgot the other one but these rock!

"I'm done, and as I'm posing in my nice stance the flamingo stands his ground as well. The flamingo and I are the unstoppable team, with my tornado kick and his confident pink plastic frame, we're ready for whatever comes our way!"

-Jujimufu