• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dojo Relationships

I have these couples in my Dojo and they have a relationship. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is kind of gross when they work together. It is a young couple, so they are always all over each other. I have spoken with my instructor about it and has cracked down on them, but they seem to not get it. They are not allowed to work together or anything, but they are still a distraction. Any suggestions??

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Try throwing a bucklet of cold water on them. :o

I'vew had that "issue" before in my dojo also, and about all you can do is have the sensei talk to them about it.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I remember in a BJJ class sensei's wife was practicing with us too , one day he was explaning something and his wife was sitting on his gaurd and wife was trying to get a eye lash off his face while he was talking, it was very funny he pissed off and shouted "don't touch me like this in the class".

They need to learn to distinguish between the two relationships......if they are a "couple".....thats great....good for them......but when they come to the dojo......they are just fellow students when they step out onto the mat.

In another thread, I recently congratulated someone on receving a promotion, and I made they announcement that my GF just passed her yellow belt test.........teaching a friend, or a girlfiend for example can be a tough thing to do.......but it simply must be made clear to them prior to training......" We may be friends, or even boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, whatever......when we TRAIN......there is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT RELATIONSHIP......WHICH IS THAT OF TEACHER/STUDENT, OR FELLOW STUDENTS IN THE SAME CLASS........and thats the way it is.......aside from the fact that as cute as it might be.....even if they are a "couple"......the trainig dojo is NO PLACE to be exchanging lil kisses here and there........PERIOD !!!!!!.......save it for later........when youre on the mat......you are simply this.....a student, or a teacher......and you should act like one.......end of story.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

My boyfriend and I are in the same class as well, but we know that when we are in class we are students and we respect and treat each other in that way. No groping, no smooching... none of that in the dojo.

If you bring emotions into class then you're clouding your mind. You have to be able to stay focused if you want to learn. I've seen girls get all jealous cause their boyfriends are working with other partners. That's just so petty and immature. We're here to learn people! Not to make out with you. Go on with the chlorophyll...

My boyfriend wants to get back into MA, and I told him not to come to my dojo. My sensei agrees. I know it would be difficult for me to keep a clear mind having him there even while we're still in our little domestic bliss stage. If and when we would have an argument, there would be no way I could work with him in the same rooom. It is really not a good idea to be involved with your MA classmates.

If even your sensei can't get through to them, then they clearly aren't respectful people. To disrupt a whole class of others for a little snuggling?? Hmmm...