• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hanging Makiwara

Sho-ju

Any good designs for a hanging makiwara? I've been using a phone book pounded into a tree for the last couple of years but have had to move it, now, I'm looking to construct a simple makiwara to hang in my basement against a brink wall...keeping this in mind, I'd like to have something with more give.

Thx.

SJ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wouldn't have your makiwara pounded into a tree, or against a brick wall. For makiwaras you want the striking block(whatever you use it could be anything) hung in a manner where it has some give to it. You don't wan't to be punching a padded tree\brick wall. Cause all the energy of your punch will then travel back up your arm and into your shoulders. And that isn't healthy. I will look around for a picture of the kind of makiwara my Sensei made, and put a link to it. They are fairly easy to make, but I can't just explain it with out some kinda picture or even a plan on how to make it. I'll post back in a little while.

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate....

Here are is a quick pic I made of a couple my Sensei told me about(the one on the left is the one that he made for himself) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ksurf3r_wi/Makiwara.jpg Also just AIM or MSN me for better instructions on how to make them. I didn't want to spend to much time writing out the instructions.

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate....

I guess I should explain the phone book...I cut out a section in the shape of a square close to the back of the book and then tape the phone book up well. This allows for some give, the air rushes out with each punch. It works extremely well and my zuki has improved much.

SJ

Note: As I was taught, when a zuki is performed a quick half inch draw back is done after impact. This prevents energy from returning to the fist, the energy stays in the target. This is theory and I don't know if it can be proved, it was just what I was taught to do and believe it to be true from my experiance. I've recently notice in a book titled the Essence of White Crane, they punch with the same form.

use a bale of hay and hang it from the ceiling. cover the hay with some type of cloth. you should also try putting wood inside the cloth

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Here's what I've come up with so far...

I'm going to use steel block, hollow inside, wrap it with carpet padding and carpet then cover it with an old canvis army bag. Nothing left to do but to hang it. If I find it swings I'll fill it.