• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Secluded Training

I appreciate all of the responses.

I can see how training secluded would leave you coming up short on your sparing techniques. However, I think it would provide an excellent training mentally.

lots of things provide excellent training mentally... is that the sole reason you'd want to go into seclusion?

Mas Oyama's skills obviously didn't suffer any from training secluded for so long.

actually, you don't know. Did you spar with him before his seclusion? Did you spar with him after? If not, then you really can't make that assesment. They may have suffered, but it wouldn't be noticeable to you if you hadn't trained with him beforehand.

so, aside from the lack of interaction with a sparing partner, do you see any advantages to secluded training?

not really - nothing that I can't already get by training on my own.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, you don't know. Did you spar with him before his seclusion? Did you spar with him after? If not, then you really can't make that assesment. They may have suffered, but it wouldn't be noticeable to you if you hadn't trained with him beforehand.

Self-defeating. How can you argue either way? Did YOU spar Mas Oyama after his seclusion? Maybe he got better! I know you didn't really go either way but don't knock this guys post because of a hypothetical statement.

As far as for me, I'd love to train in seclusion. Sure, I have woods out back I can train in but I can still hear the highway. The great thing about going out to nowhere and training for me would be: Living in balance with yourself, with nature, and with the world. I wouldn't take anything with me though... just whatever weapons I needed and a journal. And lots and lots of pens/pencils.

I think the nicest thing is the forced practice of forms over and over again. What else are you going to do? I think my sparring power would increase dramatically if I spent a year in seclusion. There's much to learn in sets I already have that I haven't seen. Theres details to work on. I'm sure I could generate an immense amount of power if I practiced it. And if I really wanted to spar... theres bears in the woods, right?

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Self-defeating. How can you argue either way? Did YOU spar Mas Oyama after his seclusion? Maybe he got better! I know you didn't really go either way but don't knock this guys post because of a hypothetical statement.

of course it's self defeating. that's basically my point - that his statement has no merit.

I think my sparring power would increase dramatically if I spent a year in seclusion.

why? your technique may get better. you can increase your stamina too. these things don't have direct effect on sparring though. timing, distancing, etc. various things that you can only really work with a resisting partner.

And if I really wanted to spar... theres bears in the woods, right?

lol, if you really wanted to spar, or if you really had a death wish?

what does training by yourself accomplish?

what does it offer?

why do you want to do this?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Why is everyone so tied up with the sparring aspect of the Martial Arts? Sure that's one major aspect, but not the only one. I have to side with Hudson a little and say that one's power would increase dramatically, as well as one's attention to detail.

So what if you don't spar as well when you get back, think of everything else that would be better.

"what does training by yourself accomplish?

what does it offer?

why do you want to do this?"

As stated above, physical ability, mental ability, meditation, the list goes on.

I think it would be a nice change of scenery for a while. I don't have the opportunity right now - job, family, bills. but if the opportunity ever arose - like if i lost all of the above - i would do it.

thanks again for the responses.

This isn't directly related to martial arts, but in a way it is related to this topic. I have a friend who had a really good job, working good hours, being paid very good money. He never seemed quiet satisfied though, and he often times said that there were things missing from his life. One day he just up and quit his job. He wanted to get away from eveything, seclude himself from most of society. This is where his journey began.

He didn't really have a plan, he just knew he wanted to travel. He lives in Western Canada and he bought an open ended ticket from an airport in Eastern Canada. How would he get there? He contemplated on hopping on various cargo trains, hitchiking... and then a week before he was to set off he decided he would do it by bike, all alone with bare necessities. By doing this, he preety much sold most of his material possessions. Everything that he had left he took with him.

It's not TOTAL seclusion but it is preety close. Travelling by bike, by yourself for months on end will alter your way of thinking and your spirit.

He is in Eastern Canada now, and I just spoke with him for the first time in about 4 months. He is a different person and he told me of his journey, the struggles, the sights, and the interesting encounters along the way. Soon he will be flying over seas to continue his unknown path.

It may not be martial arts related, but I do think that secluding yourself is a spiritual endevour that many people do not have the capacity to do. However if you do it will be a life altering experience.

For many people it's the spiritual aspect of martial arts that they hold in high regard.

Next summer, rent a cabin or live in a tent in the middle of nowhere, just you and the birds. After your holiday is over report back to us about your new spiritual awakening.

I'll rent a cabin aswell, but I'm going to be there with a bunch of friends and there's going to be a nice female group in the neighbouring cabin :)

- Musse

"Be careful: The toes you step on today may be connected to the * you'll be kissing tomorrow"

After doing some thinking, I think the seclusion training also has an aspect similar to the whole "1000 suburi for 1000 days" thing, which is that if you do suburi 1000 times a day for 1000 days, you'll reach enlightenment - ultimate technique - blah blah blah. I mean, how many of us could benifit from practicing all day every day?

If you said you couldn't, slap yourself.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.