• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Secluded Training

Sevenstar,

You're right I have no idea how you were raised. Of course I've read over my post and cannot find one iota of information stating anything about how you were raised. Perhaps you are reading into this a little too much. If you took my post as a direct attack on your parenting or method of rearing, maybe you have some deep rooted issues you should discuss. The point was that society is the cause of our, yes our, perception of success. I would be narrow minded in saying that I don't have any luxuries, or don't enjoy some from time to time, (i.e. computers).

I understand that completely. However, "our" is completely different than "people like him" naturally, it's seen as an attack.

Granted. Bad choice of words.

I had at the point of my last post read the whole thread. And the part of scottnshelley's post about responsibilities I perfectly agree with. The part that I was trying to point out was that you had to include 'I do all right' was not pertinent. That was just a jab to let everyone know you do 'all right'. No where in scottnshelleys forum has anyone asked "I wonder how well off sevenstar is?" It is just a psychological glitch that in this day and time comes out. Kind of like posturing before a fight. One upmanship, however you want to describe it. Most people don't even know they do it.

you hlaf- read the thread. I quoted above what that was in reply to. If you notice, I NEVER mentioned how much I made. I may only make 3.00 an..

D**n!

[And, IMO only a fool would think that the things described here would help you MORE than training in a direct manner. So yeah, we agree to disagree. I do completely agree that something can be learned from everything, but the something in this case is not as direct.

If all you consider is the physical aspect you are probably right. I am more of a spiritualist MA. So, I would get more out of it than you. You would get more out of a gym. That's all I have been trying to say all along. You cannot see the infinite potential that I can. Before you misconstrue that, I am not saying that because you cannot see it makes you any less of an MA. Just different.

Honor all things.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, that I whole-heartedly agree with. IMO, spirituality should not be part of MA. I've trained karate and I've trained longfist... I was not interested in spiritual aspects of either. That's what I go to church for. From a spiritual perspective, I can see reason for secluded training. from a physical aspect, I don't think it makes much sense.

.....i'm partly there with seven.

with the exception of a few styles, spirituality wasn't there to begin with.

a certain degree of philosophy from the principles involved with the style maybe

but never any real spiritual aspect.

so, the eternal question from me.

logan, what kung fu do you practice?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

How often do you need guidance from a more seasoned karateka? In seclusion, you are going to have the last word on what is proper technique and what isn't. Your only visual feedback will be from your own reflection, and the only physical feedback you will get is from striking the inanimate. Are you comfortable with that?

Personally I would never do it, because I feel like there is (nearly) always something to learn from somebody else, and to train without that resource would not be optimal.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

I like the idea of going to a different country for some amount of time and training there, which I might (and probably will do) someday. I'm like SevenStar in the fact that I train in MA for the physical aspects, not the spiritual, so a year in the mountains wouldn't do the same for me as it would for others.

• 2 weeks later...

Sevenstar, in response to your "Who would be more powerful" question - yes, you would be able to keep up just as well physically over the year. That's not what I'm talking about. Technique development is CRUCIAL to power. So after you finish of your coached workout, the man in seclusion has nothing better to do, so he works on making that punch stronger, faster. The idea behind secluded training is, with nothing better to do, you can only get better.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Assuming you are doing the technique right. you may be doing nothing more than training bad habits into yourself. Even in the case that you are doing it right, you still won't be as powerful, necessarily, as the person not in seclusion has other training aids, such as weight training. I think the whole "solo training in the mountains" thing is nothing more than a MA fantasy propogated over the years - it's nostalgic.

I'd love to test the theory though. If scottnshelly decides to do it, I REALLY want to meet him before he goes. We will compare (as best we can) how strong our techniques are. After he returns, we will compare again.