• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best weapon ???

Kill Bill960

"Spear. The Roman empire was based on it's spear wiedling footmen. More range, gets those horse rider down." (Some guy with a stupid santa pic)

Romans? Naginata were the Samurai's superior weapon to the spear, or even the Yari spear come to think of it.

Anyway the best weapon is the sword.

The cool summer breeze passes me by.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Romans used a version of the spear that was used as an infantry weapon, but was also thrown into the enemy line before engagement with short swords. This spear was not extremely long as to facilitate throwing. The Naginita was not generally thrown and is fairly heavy. Spears have been used in many warrior cultures with great success. The Scottish schiltron comes to mind. When you say the best weapon is the sword, which kind? A discussion on that question alone could last forever. A fencer will tell you that a true rapier is superior to the katana due to range and quickness, yet a skilled iaido practitioner would probably have something to say about that. Then you have the medieval broadsword, the Greek and Roman short swords, Chinese jian, etc. Also with a sword it depends on which style you use. There are different schools of iaido. There are even differences between whether the swordsman is from Okinawa or Japan. The Japanese go straight forward all the time, while the Okinawans hold more of a neutral stance. Then there is Korean Juk-Do, in which the practitioner has the majority of the weight on the back leg. This would denote a more defensive positioning. I don't think there is a best weapon, each weapon has it's advantages and disadvantages and someone who is truly great with a certain weapon will be able to overcome a lot of the disadvantages of said weapon. A skilled swordsman can defeat someone with a long spear, someone skilled with a staff or sai has a chance of defeating someone with a sword. I suppose if we were talking about simple range and takedown power we'd be talking about guns and bows. If we exempt guns, an English Yew longbow or a Mongolian composite bow would be the best weapons. The longbow has the advantage of range (records of men shooting from 500 yards away) and power (during a seige a bowman shot someone through a 4 inch thick oak door). However, the composite bow can be shot from more positions, coverages, and from horseback. So, as stated before due to the vast differences amongst weapons, I don't believe there can be a best weapon.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I believe that the best weapons are practical weapons. The cane and the knife are good choices as you can carry these things with you. I don't think that I'll ever walk around with nunchakus or sais, etc, although I do train with them. Bo training would be good if you spend a lot of time in the pool halls. Any type of weapon training will benefit you in coordination and gripping strength, however I just prefer training with something that I might actually use one day.

Forgot the broom

The right to keep and bear Arms.

• 7 months later...