• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Importance in your training?

searcher

I understand what you are saying. I know you don't need any spiritual guidance out of martial arts. I don't think you understood my second statement. I am not saying you get spirituality out of martial arts. I am simply saying the more you become part of the martial art, the more you learn that there is no need for the fight. It is a development process however. Initially you do take the martial arts for the ability to fight if your other spiritual needs are already fulfilled. The deeper you go into your training however, and the more you know, the more you realize it is unnecessary for you to fight. Maybe I am talking about more of a spiritual connection, and just don't realize it. I just know that I never need to fight. Even if someone attacks me, I don't need to fight them. Eventually, they learn what you are doing and they open their eyes.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I get your point. I just threw in the word "spiritual" because some people would use it describe the more philosophical connotations of your idea, which may or may not have religious implications. Sorry if that threw you off.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Personally, I think that performing kata does help my fighting skill, as does all the stretching and conditioning that are part of my training. The exercise allows me to physically do my kata better and it helps me do better when sparring. Doing kata also improves my physical condition (I'm certainly sweating at the end of a kata if I've done it correctly and with intensity!) and it improves my concentration, especially when I am doing one alone in front of my fellow karateka. I believe the ability to concentrate and focus is key to being a better fighter so in that way, my doing kata also has a direct effect on my fighting ability. The more I spar, the better I visualize my opponents when performing my kata, making my kata better. So for me, all these aspects blend together to make me a better and more effective karateka.

Best of luck in your training!

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

I think every aspect of karate is important. From the physical to the emotional to the mental, you become stronger... Both defense and your offense attack is at the same importantace..

Hurt rather than injure,

Injure rather than maim,

Maim rather than kill,

kill rather than be killed...

I believe the ability to concentrate and focus is key to being a better fighter so in that way, my doing kata also has a direct effect on my fighting ability. The more I spar, the better I visualize my opponents when performing my kata, making my kata better. So for me, all these aspects blend together to make me a better and more effective karateka.

Best of luck in your training!

Good post. But, not every application of the kata is performed the way that it is done in the kata.... so, if you are working a technique that you apply differently than you are practicing it, is it really helping?

I do believe that kata helps, but I think it helps in a different manner.

SevenStar, your summary is right on. I find it does help, but in a different manner. As the focus of performing kata (in a competive environment) is to strive for an ideal in form, I approach it in a manner that would not provide a great benefit to me in a sparring environment. When performing a kata, I am 'performing' in a deliberate, prescribed, exacting way that doesn't translate as effectively in the ring. My simulated opponents that I face in my kata are far more predictable than the oponents I face in the ring. The focus I bring to bear in the ring is no less intense, but far more reactive. The point being, however, is that both require the conditioning of your focus and of your body. If your training involves varied methods of developing these important factors, then you are (I am) less likely to get 'bored' and stay excited about my training. And good and diligent training will pay dividends when it is crunch time.

Best regards and good luck.

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread.

I do not know why I went back to Karate. I stopped 14 years ago and just woke up one day and decided to train again.

I don't do it to increase my fighting skills, because I don't fight. I don't do it to increase my mental ability to deal with situations, becasue I am in control of my adrenal repsponse and can channel that energy positively.

What I have got out of it this time, is increased strength, better balance, much more energy and a sense of achievement.

these are my reasons for sticking at Karate, that and the fact that it is one of the most fun filled ways I can think of to spend 4 hours a week.

I enjoy Kata and I believe it has improved my strength, balance, energy and fun levels, in the same way kumite does.

It is just an integral part of what I do and why I do it.

In these modern times how important is increaing fighting skill to everyone as it pertains to your training?

Increasing my fighting skill is the most important aspect of training in MA, for me. Modern times can still be dangerous times. One reason martial arts have so little respect in the U.S. is that many martial artists approach MA for excercise, rather than self defense.

With so many people bashing on the usefullness of kata these days, how do you feel about kata and its effectiveness in helping you learn to fight?

Kata is self defense. When I practice kata, I am practicing self defense. Anyone who practices self defense drills is practicing a sort of kata.

The reason for me asking is that we ARE training in a martial art and we should be able to at least fight a little bit. I do not want this to turn into another fight over kata vs. fighting skill, but I would like to know how important fighting is to everyone.

It should never be kata vs. fighting skill, the two should work together, not in opposition.

That a martial artist can't fight at all after several years of training devalues martial arts. But no help for that since anyone can order a black belt off the internet and open a dojo and not be held accountable for weak MA students.

I guess as a beginner.. I see kata as "introductory sparring" (or an introduction into the concepts of sparring)... if I wouldn't have worked on any kata at all before trying a little free sparring (which we tried a bit about 2 months or so in), I think I would have had LESS of a clue of what I was doing as I did.

(if that made NO SENSE, feel free to point it out :lol: )

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Kata is karate it is the basis for the entire art and when done properly it creates an icrediable fighter but it takes many years to benefit you as a fighter because learning to do it properly is a challenge. I am not reffering to the movements in the kata those take no time to learn it is what transpires in the mind that is essential to fighting. As for kata being introductory sparring, I don't think kata and sport fighting (modern kumite) have anything to do with each other

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro