• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding, right?

or hasn't met up with a wrestler yet.

My position is that you need to practice against all kinds of attacks. I guess that I am spoiled as where I train we do this. We have guys that have a variety of backgrounds including wrestling, judo and ju-jutsu. I find it difficult to generalize my comments as I know quite a few people that can fight from any range. (Kind of like White Warlock's background).

Oh, and just because you think you're fighting a wrestler don't assume that they can't bust you one or that they can't choke. Dangerous is a wrestler that has ju-jutsu combined with stand up.

Here are some other points to consider.

Keep control of your balance. Over-extending and kicking high can lead to you losing your balance and an experienced wrestler will have you if you do this. Keep to low kicks and strikes that don't take you off your base. Also if you do get taken down try to sprawl and put some elbows into action. If you really get dumped and are on your back, try to work the point of your elbow into the opponents neck, sternum, thigh, whatever you have. It is easy to do and provides much discomfort for the opponent. Knees, thumbs, and knuckles also work. Some of the best moves to get out of an attack are overlooked because of their simplistic nature.

But again, there is no substitute for preparation and actually learning the skill set that you will be facing.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I wrestled high level wrestlers before, the first thing you notice is how much pain they can take. Don't think that just because they don't train strikes means you can score a ko with ease, that's plain false. Chances are, if you can't sprawl and the wrestler really wants you on your back, you'll end up on your back. Work the sprawl, also work to get on your feet from your back.

Use your hands, keep your kicks low.

Hehe, the first two are more in the line of 'professional wrestling,' although they do have real life applicability.

huh? We did these in high school wrestling.

The crossface, one that does exist in sport wrestling, i'll have to disagree with you on this... only because of my personal failure when applying it. When i was 17 and getting ready for State competitions, i worked out with my brother, who had no wrestling background... but was a damn good brawler. I kept using the crossface on him and he told me to quit. I didn't listen, so he raised his upper body and shoved an elbow into my thigh. My leg was in a cast for months. :(

Simply put, the crossface only serves to agitate the opponent. It doesn't take them out. I would have been better off putting a choke hold on him. But, of course, that wasn't one of the 'permitted' options in sport wrestling. Which goes to one of my other issues. What you train in for sport could inadvertantly subject you to 'limited' thinking, even when you know better.

No, you're not gonna knock anyone out with a crossface. I was just listing holds and techniques they use that can hurt. I definitely put that on the list.

As for the 'limited thinking' thing, you fight how you train.... almost. In the instance you mentioned, yeah, I can understand that happening.

Hehe, the first two are more in the line of 'professional wrestling,' although they do have real life applicability.

huh? We did these in high school wrestling.

I suppose you're putting names to it that i associate with other things. Can you give a basic description of those two actions so we can be on the same page?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Okay... this is the only pic I could find of a grapevine, and it took forever to find this one...don't mind the women in bikinis, just look at the techniques they are doing.

http://www.grapplinggirls.com/videos.htm

scroll down to GG41. That is a grapevine. Another technique we call a grapevine in judo is merely hooking yhour opponent's leg, foiling his throw attempt.

I have seen many mma fighters loose to leg kicks, I think it was coleman who was bombarded with leg kicks then knocked out by a round kick to the head. maurice smith won over tank from leg kicks.

But the street is different, I will use any weapon I can find, a car key to the eyes or ear, whatever. There are still many spots to target, you cant build a mussle over every inch of your body. Its also all about the situation, remember that basketball brawl? Its hard to wrestle and kick up in the stands?

Just my 2 cents

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I have seen many mma fighters loose to leg kicks, I think it was coleman who was bombarded with leg kicks then knocked out by a round kick to the head. maurice smith won over tank from leg kicks.

But the street is different, I will use any weapon I can find, a car key to the eyes or ear, whatever. There are still many spots to target, you cant build a mussle over every inch of your body. Its also all about the situation, remember that basketball brawl? Its hard to wrestle and kick up in the stands?

Just my 2 cents

watch the coleman fight - rizzo does a decent job of keeping coleman at the range he wanted, if I remember correctly. Also, rizzo grapples and strikes. Coleman is only a grappler - that's what I was saying earlier - you need to understand the game of your opponent...crosstrain. rizzo had grappling experience and was aware of the techniques coleman would try and knew how to deal with them.

Tank had zero technique - he was just a brawler. He is a perfect example of what you want to train to deal with in the street. He was thrashing these highly trained MA left and right, and he had virtually no training at all - he just liked to fight.