• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Things to avoid doing in a Dojo

Don't run with sai!

too true too true.

your quote, on your sig is from Adam Savage, of the MythBusters

Side note: I LOVE the Mythbusters! :D Feel free to pm me to discuss them!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always assume that each new belt you earn is exactly the same length, breadth, and width. Don't worry about remembering the correct way to tie it: you'll remember, even if the Grandmaster of your style and everyone else is watching. No pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not tell Sensei that you want to practice lining up all night.

We have this rule in our dojo where we have to line up in five seconds, and we normally don't make it (dang little kids...). Well, one time Sensei asked a young green belt if we wanted to line up all night. Dominic said yes. One word: yikes. Over a hundred push ups, 250 jumping jacks, running in place for ten minutes, fifty leg lifts... jam-packed into twenty minutes. I think that's the least amount of what we had to do. The other green belt (my friend) said that was rather mild for Sensei going crazy. It probably didn't help that when Sensei asked if it was cool to do this kind of stuff, the young green and purple belts said "yes."

I'd have to say this was the most demon workout I've ever done. I've had it lucky, I think. It really felt good the five minutes after we were done. Just thought I'd share my story.

Can't we all just get along?!

I learn to fight so I don't have to.

Thats the one thing that bugs me sometimes when i train.... when you train with younger kids who dont necessarily do the work out / exercises correctly and so dont get tired - and just say "oh that was easy" and then we end up getting more, so all the older people [me included] are absolutely shattered, and there are some people who are barely out of breath because they've not done much.... sorry had to let that out.

When Sensei asks who's not sweating, DON"T put your hand up!

If he asks if you're tired, always reply yes. Do not say no, I think I could do that a while longer. (I said this once when we were practicing low stance, not fun!)

Do not throw training pads in a room with mirrors. (Our sensei did that one himself, it completely shattered.)

When everyone is lined up at the start of class standing at attention, dont sneak out to one end of the line and push the person on the end as hard as you can.

2nd Dan Soo Bahk Do. Dan Bon - 36884

In response to Georgia-

In our dojo, if you say you are tired Sensei's idea is to do push-ups, because if we're tired, that means our energy is on a big puddle on the floor around us, and doing push-ups will get it all back, and then we can do DOUBLE what we were doing. So for us, it's a bad idea to answer we're tired.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu