• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Things to avoid doing in a Dojo

Don't start speaking with a japanese accent.

Don't challenge kids younger than you to fights and then when your sensei remprimands you whine "But we're all at the same skill level!"

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the kids class and "Dominate" like Krammer. (Seinfield episode where Krammer Takes Karate).

Upon entering the dojang/ dojo let out a large keap at the top of your lungs, when people come over to ask what all the commotion is tell them you are fine.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

"Fail to look as though a technique is hurting you when doing partner work. This guarantees that the instructor will come up to show them how to do it, using you as the dummy. "

Something similar happened to me. He used me as a test dummy, one of the green belts was to get me in mount, then interlock our legs to apply pressure to my knees. It wasn't successful, so he had a black belt apply the technique on me. It was a better attempt, but since I had seen the technique already, I knew that I just had to keep my legs too ridgid for him to move them. He had a lot of leverage, but still no dice. A few minutes later (and one very sweaty black belt), I was still laying there. That left only one person that could apply the technique...he did, and with a cross choke to boot :dodgy:

LOL, 'twas fun to say the least.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

"Fail to look as though a technique is hurting you when doing partner work. This guarantees that the instructor will come up to show them how to do it, using you as the dummy. "

Something similar happened to me. He used me as a test dummy, one of the green belts was to get me in mount, then interlock our legs to apply pressure to my knees. It wasn't successful, so he had a black belt apply the technique on me. It was a better attempt, but since I had seen the technique already, I knew that I just had to keep my legs too ridgid for him to move them. He had a lot of leverage, but still no dice. A few minutes later (and one very sweaty black belt), I was still laying there. That left only one person that could apply the technique...he did, and with a cross choke to boot :dodgy:

LOL, 'twas fun to say the least.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't use a bo as a javelin and hurl it randomly.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Don't hit yourself with a bokken in the forehead. A) it hurts. B) it looks really stupid. C) it really does hurt.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• 2 weeks later...

I watched this one happen. My friend tried to impress this girl with his nunchaku skills and smacked himself in the face. Needless to say she wasn't too impressed

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Time is a valuable thing

Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings

That tends to happen often! Not the impressing part, but the hit in the face c/o the nunchaku. :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."