• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking off leading leg

I've always thought that the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. Sure it's not as powerful as a rear leg kick, but as Slider pointed out, it's not telegraphed at all, and I feel the much quicker time of delivery more than makes up for that. Plus I think that, well delivered, a front leg kick can be delivered with VERY good power, and I certainly am still able to kick low or to the head off the leading leg

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not big into sparing however the only time i find myself kicking with the front leg is if im in a neko ashi dachi (cat stance) the rest of the time its either a backfist reverse punch or a front kick . i can only think of a few kata off hand that have a front leg kickin them such as pinan shodan , kosokun dai , and both of those are out of cat stsnce .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

:spitlaugh:

Kicking from a cat stance is only good if they got you on the run...but I advise trying it to surprise your opponant with a quick kick to the groin, or solar plexas...more effective that way.

Hasta!!

Slider

Check out "Koldsteel" Enterprises. We offer a wide variety of aluminum samurai swords for training or competition. All of these swords are light as a feather, but look awsome.

Http://hometown.aol.com/koldsteel504/myhomepage/profile.html

Joe I was thinking about your response and it is another one of those things that more experience will correct. We practiced a partner drill learning how to throw a kick and have it land in stable stance with out opponent doing their best to keep us off balance.

Ronryu one of the guys I have sparred with is a master of kicking out of cat stance. I have seen him sucker in all ranks of sparring partners only to blast them.

:weirdlook:

Here's some sound advice...when he steps back into that cat...circle around and drill for blood. All of his weight is on his back leg, and by stepping into a cat to kick you, he has cut his mobility...circle around to his 9:00, and go to town on him.

Hasta!!

Slider

Check out "Koldsteel" Enterprises. We offer a wide variety of aluminum samurai swords for training or competition. All of these swords are light as a feather, but look awsome.

:weirdlook:

Its good for a quick strike, but against a skilled fighter...I really would not advise it. Your weight distribution in that stance is 60/40 and your mobility is cut....if it doesnt work, you will need a sec to re-set...and thats too much time in a fighting situation.

Try leaning back an kicking the groin when your opponant kicks...very good fight strat.

Hasta!!

Slider

After participating in this new form of karate for the last couple of weeks i have learned the advantages of a quick snap-kick to the stomach as they come in. It's good for setting up a front thrust kick. I almost met my match (sparring semi-contact) in this 15 year old kid who reminded me of myself at that age. He'd block and counter everything i threw at him and it wasn't until i started charging him down that he began to back off. It was cool!

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.