• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking off leading leg

Ever heard of the one inch punch?

A lead leg kick if done properly should be able to knock an opponent down, break bones or whatever.

If it lacks power it's not being done properly.

Use your hips, train for explosive power from a dead standstill!

Yes it is true that you can get a lot of momentum from a rear leg roundkick but it has to travel twice as far!

I believe in the efficacy of front leg kicks because they work in the real world and they always get there before the rear leg kicks do.

Hey, it's just my opinion...

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer my lead leg as I can get a kick off quicker and with less telegraphing than my back leg. It also sets up many combos so well. A good fighter needs the ability to do this. On the street, you can stop a fight before it gets started with a quick snap to the knee, groin, or stomach. Again, finishing move to follow, provided there is anything left to finish. :)

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

An awesome combo combining speed and power....

Lead leg front kick followed by a powerful back roundhouse ....performed in a continuous motion.

Yes, I agree with Ti-Kwon-Leap on the efficiency of that lead leg front kick ...

I posted a question in GM regarding "speed breaks" and whether you derive more speed from the lead or the back leg when excuting a speed break. Ti-Kwon-Leap explained my thoughts exactly "Yes it is true that you can get a lot of momentum from a rear leg roundkick but it has to travel twice as far!" thus by the time that kick reaches its target (in this case a board) it has lost its speed.

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I'm definitely a lead leg kicker. My instructor told me that I have a lot of power as well as speed with my right lead leg kicks (I'm a righty :D ).

When I started TKD, I suprised a lot of people with lead leg kicks. I guess in this dojang, they never taught it. But in TSD, they did drills with both lead leg and back leg kicks together. I think that helped me in TKD.

Laurie F

• 4 weeks later...