• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How does Kyokushin Karate do in MMA tournaments?

DaChroniclez

how well does it do? I have been interested in this style but have been told by a number of people that it is not that great of a karate style, compared to Shotokan for example. They say it is not as "complete" so to speak, and it focuses alot on stuff like breakin bricks/boards (which im not to interested in). I tried telling him (my dad) that it focuses on rea live fighting alot, but the fact is i lack alot of information about this style to really speak on it.

can anyone with some knowledge pelase tell him how good it is compared to other karate styles, how well it does in tournaments (maybe standings/statistics can be procided). Is it a complete style/able to deal with grappling/long range/and short range? (I kno shotokan is). etc..

any and all help is graetly appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin karate has done very well in K1 (which is mixed striking arts). Recently there was a kyokushin challenge to other K1 fighters and Kyokushin won all of the matches. I don't have a link but I will look for it.

One cannot say the same for shotokan. The battle for striking supremacy has largely, for the past 50 years, been between kyokushin and Muay Thai.

Kyokushin focuses on full contact sparring/drills, unlike most other karate styles, including shotokan.

However, in MMA, Muay Thai has become the default striking system and most pro MMAists use Muay Thai.

I have never practiced Kyokushin, but from what I have seen and read, I would bet on a kyokushin black belt winning a fight against a comparable fighter from another karate style.

One benefit from training in full-contact karate would be that you would be used to fighting in close-range, whereas semi-contact or no-contact karate tends to have you fighting in an unrealistically long range. So I would say that kyokushin would have the advantage in dealing with proper fighting ranges.

That said, kyokushin is a striking system, which, as we've seen in MMA, can be nullified by grappling. As can Shotokan (I don't know who told you otherwise). So it would be good to practice some ground fighting and clinch work in another style (neither are included in kyokushin tournaments, but might be drilled in-class, I don't know).

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Kyokushin does suffered a few defeat at the hands of San Shou (which I don't believe that really counts). But other than that they had done really well. The biggest and ONLY possible rival for Kyokushin now I believe is only Muay Thai, San Shou I'm not so sure but I think Kyokushin is still ahead of it.