• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun / Kickboxing mix, what do you think?

I will most likely eitehr be joining Kyokushin Karate or a Wing Chun / Kickboxing school. My question to you guys is what do you think of this mix? Would it work well? Do you think it would eliminate the long range weaknesses of Wing Chun?

I'm really concerned because I'm interested in joining tournament competition in the future and would like this to suffice. Does anyone know much about the Tigerbalm competitions, because aparently my sifu who is teaching this wing chun/kickboxing has won multiple tigerbalm championships.

I have been at thsi school before and have seen the training. I will try to summerize it for you so you can tell me whether or not this is a good idea. The way he tells us to fight is basically like this. Circle the opponent by strafing and such, go in jab and retract and move out, and basically pull combos and stuff like taht. Keep in mind what im sayin is the VERY BASICS of wat i saw in a few weeks or so there. Does this sound like proper wing chun methodology?

Thanks for any and all help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't even sound like Wing Chun to me I would be leery of what the hype is.

Once you mix WC with something else it is no longer WC.

I have to agree. But the poster had the title to make one think it was a mix.

Also, as anything, it will get abused or named for recognition to draw more memberships. So complete a background check on the WC. Trace lineage, which WC has some ok.

I did a little Kick Boxing before my Wing Chun. I helps you keep in shape and might be good for competition fighting I guess but I'd far rather do Wing Chun 4 days a week than mix like that :)

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

Oh! Just remembered an article I read not long ago : http://crane.50megs.com/index6u.htm

It talks about a theory that Wing Chun and Muay Thai have a common origin.

Maybe your WC/Kickboxing class makes sense after all :) haha.

ps : What do you guys think of the article?

I think the best way for you to figure out if you should take it or not is to decide yourself. Others are always going to have different looks on things and thats good but you need to do what you want with it. If the teacher is good and you feel you are learning techniques to defend yourself and having fun while doing it then I say go for it!!!!!

Remember being able to strike and strike hard is big plus for self defense, a few hard strikes to the right areas can HELP decide the outcome of a fight. Actually some kickboxing techniques (non fancy crap) is awsome for setting you up for other techniques such as throws/takedowns locks/chokes etc.

We do a mix of Jujitsu and Kickboxing so the class is now MIXED ARTS but the two go together great.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!