• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does kung fu have realistic sparring sessions?

Hello,

I will be switching from Karate to WhiteCrane kung fu in my area.

I am very interested in the short range applications but am concerned that the style wont prepare me mentally to confront a real situation with a non collaborating partner.

Most kung fu schools I have seen do not spar but I think this school may be an exception. I havent seen the sparring practices happen yet.

So I am wondering if Kung Fu philosophy in general involves some kind of realistism that allows one to behave in a stressful situation, like kumite in karate.

Thanks !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not much Kung Fu styles have realistic sparring sessions, I am not so sure about Wing Chun but I know that Baji Quan has a sparring session and so does San Shou., those animals may not have them I think.

We had, but not too often. Injuries had happened.

Sparring was a phase for higher practitioners (not that high) in order to minimize injury because of abilities.

In other words, methods had to be perfected before their application.

We will be starting to spar in the new year I expect, so over a years training before that. The trouble as I see it is that you can't do Wing Chun with gloves and you can't hit full force/speed without them.

You need to be taught well to avoid injuries with this kind of thing I guess. I doubt people learning boxing or kick boxing would get in the ring so soon if it was bare knuckle.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

Methink it depends on the school. In my class, we spar sometimes (usually only after class, though) and it's pretty good, I think. So, basically, just ask around until you find a school that fits what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah,

If there is an unquenchable desire to get real bare knuckle fighting experience, or even to test what you've learned i can refer you to several very traditional chinese stylists who'd love to feed you to thier students.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!