• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shadowboxing or slow sparring?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

no no no no,i guess i am a begginer...since ive been only doing this art for a couple of months after i quit tkd.

Its jsut that last time i sparred with my friend with no gear,i ended up busting his nose into a river of blood after a straight blast...i cant control my self when i charge foward when i get into the moment-.- im like...in my own world n actually want to hurt him,AH

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

• 4 months later...
Why slow sparring? If you have control you should be able to spar at a faster speed. If you don't have control you need to work on it. You need to master your own body before you can master someone elses!

Exactly! We spar full speed, all the time whether we wear gear (bogu full contact gear), or bare handed. You learn control this way (and others) or yo uwill smack your opponent...and he/she will smack you back. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 1 month later...

A real street fight is hard, fast, furious and ferocious, so therefore your preparation to meet the demand must always be hard, fast, furious and ferocious.

Your simulation to prepare yourself for the actual event must be at the same velocity.

Slow movements of anything will never prepare you for actual conditions.

To run a 10 second sprint you must train all out hard when you run and sprint as fast as you can to build your muscles and endurance to handle the load for the required work. Its the same with fighting.

From a physiological point of view, the body must be trained to develop fast twitch muscle fibre. If you practise slowly you are only going to develop slow twitch muscle fibre and if that is what is happening, your muscles are not capable at performing at fast twitch levels that are required and you will loose.

The only time I recommend doing anything slowly is when you are learning something for the first time, after that it needs to be flat out fast.

When Evander Holyfield was preparing for his fight when he became heavy weight champ, they changed his coach. The new coach performed some scientific tests on him and found his anaerobic endurance was poor because he was doing the normal boxing morning roadwork of 4-5 miles of steady state running. So they scrapped these morning runs and replaced them with anaerobic work which mainly was compiled of plyometric exercises such as sprinting, squat jumps, burpees, medicine ball exercises etc. Many weeks later they performed the tests again and his anaerobic threshold had increased significantly and he was able to endure much more in sparring. He didnt get tired any where near as quickly as before.

There are many great lessons in this. Holyfield changed from slow movements in training to fast all out movements. This not only gave him far greater endurance but it enable him to punch and move faster and for much longer. When his opponents were getting tired he was able to carry on throwing out devastating punches with much greater ease.

"The time-honored -- but unfortunately ill-conceived -- practice of long, slow distance work as a conditioning regimen for boxers is what Evander learned from the training dinosaurs of his youth, and had continued with for years. When I was brought aboard his team, prior to his fight against Buster Douglas in 1990, Evander was in sad physical condition considering the specific demands of his sport. I immediately tested Evander’s responses to three minutes of boxing specific total body work (see the 3 minute drill description below), which brought his heart rate above 180 bpm. He needed a full 7 or 8 minutes to recover back to 120 bpm after this single bout, analogous to one hard boxing round. What was worse, after doing five of the 3 minute drills with a one minute rest between, his heart rate remained above 150 between bouts. In short, he did not have the capacity to sustain a high performance level for even half of the duration of a professional fight. My responsibilities were limited to the physical conditioning component of Evander’s training, which had to be integrated into his skills and sparring training. Boxers require not only agility, speed and strength in short, explosive bursts, but also a high level of anaerobic strength endurance in order to perform these bursts over and over for ten rounds or more. I designed Evander’s training regimen and nutritional protocol to reflect these all-important elements. The road work ended promptly and completely. After the 12 week cycle described below, Evander recovered quickly from intense activity, even after a series of ten, 3 minute drills. His agility and limit strength levels increased, and his lean bodyweight increased from 208 to 218". - Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D., FISSA

Source: - http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9709/evander.doc

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing